Windows 7 WMC and TMT3 integration shaky, WMC crashes

runLoganrun

i had several issues installing 7, most came from a driver conflict, and from needing to setup compatibility mode for some apps. one issue was getting hdmi pass-through to show up in options in TMT3, this was not a windows prob at all, it was due to same driver as other probs. i got that fixed though and on my desktop i can play blu-rays just fine, however when i go into WMC and try to play something from MyMovies with the TMT3 int. they don't play right, they are slow, jumpy, and have no sound, this never happened with previous windows versions and same setup. i actually had it set to "vanilla" hdmi earlier in the day, and played movies fine, just only with DD, no THD. they were playing fine then, and i've only used it with hdmi pass through before so i can't figure what the problem is. btw, yes WMC version of tmt3 is set to pass through also.

anyone have thoughts on this? (app plays fine on desktop, not in WMC though)

thanks,
rlr

Hello rlr and welcome to the Windows7forums,

There have been some issues with SPDIF and Windows Media Center in the beta and build 7100.

I'm sure this will be corrected in the final version.

BTW, by TDH, are you referring to DTS True HD?

Hello rlr and welcome to the Windows7forums,

There have been some issues with SPDIF and Windows Media Center in the beta and build 7100.

I'm sure this will be corrected in the final version.

BTW, by TDH, are you referring to DTS True HD?

hi, thank you,
i am talking about pass through streaming with HDMI, NOT SP/DIF, and yes, sorry, i was talking about True HD, I don't think you can get full blown Dolby True HD with spdif, has to be hdmi, same with DTS-MA.

it's weird- after making that post i was playing around with it a little bit more, and i discovered that if i switched it down to spdif pass through (which still is passed through hdmi as well), all of a sudden the film speeds up and the sound kicks in, in dolby digital though of course, not true hd, but then..... at that point i am able to switch back to hdmi pass through (just via tmt GUI) and voila it works, true hd and all. unfortunately i have no idea what would cause it to do that, it's all the exact same equipment i had with vista install, just on Win7. i suppose that it's something to do with win7, but it could be the interface of tmt3 and media center, actually that's definitely what it is as it works fine on desktop player. prob needs another patch from arcsoft.

thanks again!
rlr

Hello rlr,

yes, you're righht SPDIF only carries the audio signal and yes you do need HDMI tfor the video portion.

Glad you got it though:)

Hello rlr,

yes, you're righht SPDIF only carries the audio signal and yes you do need HDMI tfor the video portion.

Glad you got it though:)

yes I know all that, but what i'm saying is that hdmi pass through is not working right, the movie stutters and there's no audio, but for some reason i can't explain i can switch the stream to spdif pass through which i don't even have connected, but will go through the hdmi cable (without true hd, only dd), and the movie will play correctly, at which point i can then switch back to hdmi pass through and it plays fine (with full true hd/dts ma). i have to do this on the fly for it to work, i start the movie in hdmi, switch over to spdif for like 10 seconds, then switch back, and then the movie syncs up in hdmi pass through. it never behaved like that on vista.

thanks,
rlr

I wasn't sure what HDMI pass through was , so I looked it up.

Here's what a member stated on a high-def forum:

HDMI pass through means that audio can't be read off the HDMI so you have to run a TOSLINK or coax audio digital signal to the receiver, which means you can't get High Resolution audio.

Because of this, you'll get compromised audio.

If you spend a little more to get an HDMI receiver, and use bitstream audio, you can get full hi-def without breaking the bank, and get 1080p for your display when you upgrade without adding the cost of a new receiver.

I have Cyberlink's Blue-ray HD player which came with my HP.

I also have a Marantz 7002 THX Select 2 receiver with all the latest formats and 1.3a HDMI cabling.

My only choices are HDMI or HDMI (Mixed Mode).

I've downloaded TMT3 and going to see how that works.

I wasn't sure what HDMI pass through was , so I looked it up.

Here's what a member stated on a high-def forum:

I have Cyberlink's Blue-ray HD player which came with my HP.

I also have a Marantz 7002 THX Select 2 receiver with all the latest formats and 1.3a HDMI cabling.

My only choices are HDMI or HDMI (Mixed Mode).

I've downloaded TMT3 and going to see how that works.

I have an external receiver, to decode the true hd, and dts ma, i need to have hdmi pass through in order to get the high bit rates needed for these formats, the ONLY way to get (true) true hd, from a pc, or player for that matter, is with hdmi pass through to a receiver capable of decoding them. passing true hd through an spdif cable means it is downsampled to dolby digital.

that said, as i mentioned earlier, pass through is working fine on tmt3 desktop player supporting all formats, it's just when i'm in WMC, that there's a problem, and oddly enough is fairly painless (for now) to cure by switching the output format. this worked perfectly with my vista x64 ultimate setup, it's just windows 7 that is giving me hassle. I think it's going to be one of things that I'll just have wait for the update for, from one or both of the companies, win7 being so new.

thanks anyway though,
rlr

Last edited:
Back