Windows 7 WMP 12 problems

albow

I just bought this computer and am having problems with WMP. I moved all my music and pictures to my ext hd before decommissioning the old computer but can't get them to the new one properly. I'm not the sharpest here so bear with me. I thought the new puter would see the songs and grab them but not so. Apparently when I trasferred them to the ext hd I did so improperly. THey are all there, or at least they were until I did a complete reinstall of windows 7 trying to fix things which made all of them I had managed to get in the library COMPLETELY disappear/delete (all folders empty with correct names). I have roughly 500 cd's ripped to here and when the transfer from the old hd to the ext hd took place they went to it merely under the drive letter then into a folder with the group/artist name, which is around 250 groups/artists total. After the reinstall I apparently ran into the 50 folder library limit again and it wouldn't let ma add anymore to the library. I can live with that if there's a way to make wmp see all my music each time I open it, but I cannot figure out how to do this. I see I can make a new folder with each artist but how will wmp recognize it? If it doesn't then wmp is not worth a s^&t. I mean, have they actually set this up where you can only have 50 groups/artists on your wmp? Surely they aren't so stupid to limit that. If so, I need to find another player and tell MS to kiss it. I have Zune but it's pulling it's stuff from wmp so it's no help either. On top of that, I ran the wmp troubleshooter after I could no longer add more to it and it said "Media library is corrupted" Does that mean it corrupted when I transferred it all to the ext hd or the wmp program is corrupted? I did the reinstall because I thought I might have a bad wmp but it still is the same. As I said, my files are there and playable on the ext hd even if not in the wmp library (except the ones I mentioned). If I have to, I have already resigned myself to the horrible thought of rerippingand deleting the crummy songs with all these if need be, will just take a few months to have enough time to get to it all and would hate like heck to have reformattted the ext hd only to find this all happens the same way again. I would probably be ready to kill someone at that point. So, what do I/can I do and how the heck do I do it?

WTF? Now I actually clicked on one of the folders that I originally got into the library before the reinstall. It says it's empty when you hover over it (all of these do), but I clicked it anyway and it then said I didn't have authority or wahtever to access it. Said click continue to oobtain access and I did and lo and behold, it popped open and I could play songs. I don't freakin' get it. Is this thing that d*(n hard to use? I'm sorry I'm so stupid here but nthing seems to make sense. I never had any issues that I recall for wmp 10 on my old xp computer.

Didn't help. When I do what he did, when the music library locations shows up, the ones I have added are there, but are not listed under my music. They instead are all under the individual artist or group name and quit allowing me to add more when I get to 50. Even if I delete some from the list, it won't allow me to put others in to replace. I absolutely cannot make any sense of this. It seems like it wants to force me to cobine cd's or artists into a category so I can narrow it down to 50, but if I did I'm afraid I would just have a hodgepodge instead of having things arranged usefully. Besides, the stupid program already sorts for you by genre, rating, etc so why would it make you do this?

Been there, tried that. I actually have it fixed now and it was very easy. Turns out, someone told me to add the root drive, which was my entire ext hd, which was more or less my intention fromn the start. I had gone there many times trying to get it to pick up my music, but maybe I never tried to add the entire drive because I had just as many pics as music on it. anyway, I almost didn't accomplish this because it wanted me to click ok at the bottom after I told it to find music for the libratry there. Everything else ad been coming in a different way and I didn't have to give a second sort of command or okay to get it fully accepted. I just accidentally noticed this, as when I first did it it looked like it went into the library, but then suddenly was gone so I thought it was just another false hope. Went back a few minutes later trying to add it again and that's when I saw it at the bottom. Hope nobody else goes through days of hell like I did over this! Thanks for trying to help and maybe this will be beneficial to someone else.

Back