Windows 7 wouldn't start, please help

abacoian

maybe a few weeks back my laptop with windows 7 hung up on boot, so I just powered it off and after the start up recovery ran (finding no problems) it booted. No more boot problems until today, it booted pass the window logo to the black screen just before the blue screen login, but just sat there (when i moved the mouse the black screen dimmed darker for some reason.) So I used the power button to shut down, started in startup recovery, it tried to fix (about 2 hours) and restarted itself and still hung up.

Searched online on my old xp and found many people have had this problem. I tried to restore system to older date, it never restored. I did it in safe mode and after it tried to restart it still hing up.

In advance start up options I tried last known good config, still hung on boot.

Finally I tried "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement " and it finally booted normally and I'm using it now. Uninstalled some recent installed programs, running a virus scan. But I haven't shut down yet to see if it will boot back up.

What should I do now? And is there a good free registry checker or something I should use?

I appreciate all help, thank you so much.
Ian

Do you know what driver is being used for the video? Have you installed any devices or changed drivers for any?

Any chance a virus has gotten involved?

Were you ever able to boot into Safe Mode to check Device Manager, or can you check Device Manager now? Any yellow marks or notes about problem devices? Also check the msinfo32.exe utility to see if any problem devices show up.

Do you know what driver is being used for the video? Have you installed any devices or changed drivers for any?

Any chance a virus has gotten involved?

Were you ever able to boot into Safe Mode to check Device Manager, or can you check Device Manager now? Any yellow marks or notes about problem devices? Also check the msinfo32.exe utility to see if any problem devices show up.

not sure on the video driver. I haven't installed or changed any that i know of. was able to boot in safe mode but didn't check device manager, i just looked and no yellow marks. i loooked at msinfo32 and no problems that i can see.

i scanned for viruses, none found. i removed a couple mp3 programs that i recently installed, i unplugged my external hard drive and usb cable for my camera that are always plugged in.

it's been booting normally the last few days, i hope everythings fine. is there a program / scan / test i can do to test w7 that will find any issues?

thank you

Back