"System Restore Is In Progress" Loop - Please help!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Chemoflys, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Chemoflys

Chemoflys New Member

Hi all,

I was using my Dell desktop earlier when all of a sudden it cut out. I re-booted it and it has gone to a 'System Restore is In Progress' page. Once the system progress has completed it says my computer should automatically shut down, which it has. It then says that I will be promoted to create a new user account, and that I need to accept the end user license agreement blah blah blah.

Only this is not the case. It comes up with a little "completition" message, and then my PC shuts down. But when I turn it on, it goes to the System Restore page again, and does it all again.

I bought this PC of a company off eBay and its been running fine for months, when I bought it they said that Microsoft have stopped distributing installation disks so the installation & system restore process is all on the PC.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue please? I have tried in Safe Mode and no luck.

This is what it looks like: http://oi57.tinypic.com/243fd3s.jpg

#1 Chemoflys, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Try booting into the same place as you go when you enable safe mode but choose 'last good known config' instead.

3. Chemoflys

Chemoflys New Member

I did that and it's gone back to the system restore again :(

4. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

5. Chemoflys

Chemoflys New Member

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Since the process would appear to be an OEM utility, are there any more boot key options you could use to get into the Dell Repair area?

I supposed what ever caused it to think it need a Factory Reset might be involved in the problem.... How old is the system?