"System Restore Is In Progress" Loop - Please help!!

Hi all,

I was using my Dell desktop earlier when all of a sudden it cut out. I re-booted it and it has gone to a 'System Restore is In Progress' page. Once the system progress has completed it says my computer should automatically shut down, which it has. It then says that I will be promoted to create a new user account, and that I need to accept the end user license agreement blah blah blah.

Only this is not the case. It comes up with a little "completition" message, and then my PC shuts down. But when I turn it on, it goes to the System Restore page again, and does it all again.

I bought this PC of a company off eBay and its been running fine for months, when I bought it they said that Microsoft have stopped distributing installation disks so the installation & system restore process is all on the PC.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue please? I have tried in Safe Mode and no luck.

This is what it looks like: http://oi57.tinypic.com/243fd3s.jpg

Last edited:

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Try booting into the same place as you go when you enable safe mode but choose 'last good known config' instead.

Try booting into the same place as you go when you enable safe mode but choose 'last good known config' instead.
I did that and it's gone back to the system restore again :(

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Your only option really is to obtain a copy of windows and then boot from it. When you get to the install page run the repair option. This page should allow you to download and burn a disk:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/lost-windows-7-install-disc-create-a-new-one-from-scratch/
Okay, thank you for the advice. I don't know what has happened so I'll give this ago :).

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Since the process would appear to be an OEM utility, are there any more boot key options you could use to get into the Dell Repair area?

I supposed what ever caused it to think it need a Factory Reset might be involved in the problem.... How old is the system?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.