Windows XP XP support ends today

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Today being the 8th of April 2014 means that Microsoft have finally stopped supporting this amazing operating system. See the link below for more information.

What is Windows XP end of support?
Microsoft provided support for Windows XP for the past 12 years. But the time came for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.

As a result, technical assistance for Windows XP is no longer available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC.Microsoft has also stopped providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC is secure because Microsoft is no longer providing security updates to help protect your PC.)

If you continue to use Windows XP now that support has ended, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Internet Explorer 8 is also no longer supported, so if your Windows XP PC is connected to the Internet and you use Internet Explorer 8 to surf the web, you might be exposing your PC to additional threats. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter more apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP.

Ref:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

Question: can XP be considered a hazard to others, used on-line? Like thinking about the bot-function? Personal risks about viruses and such is one thing, but risking others is quite something else. Not that I would want to shoot every XP user... :cool:

I'm unsure about that to be honest with you Pauli.. I'll have a look around and see if any info is available on the subject.

Question: can XP be considered a hazard to others, used on-line? Like thinking about the bot-function? Personal risks about viruses and such is one thing, but risking others is quite something else. Not that I would want to shoot every XP user... :cool:

Yes (legally) it can be and IS considered a hazard to other… more than one insurance company has decided that having xp on a server which stores a clients "personal | private data" makes your business a higher risk of being sued.

To be clear, this has little to do with actual facts and is more about perception.

Well, perception can become reality. Like Neville Chamberlain said, freely quoting from memory, Hitler is no threat, he's a jolly good fellow - and what happened?

As well as we shouldn't create horrors, we shouldn't neglect risks. I'm not against XP users, in any way. I'm simply pro all users. And I do admit, I don't have the expertise to deal with the issue. Just making a question.

Short answer, YES.

Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

I suggest everyone answering a question in XP department should add something like

XP is without support, thus making it [even] dangerous to other computers, if acting on-line. XP cannot support new security measures. You should upgrade to at least Windows 7, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

May be, this is a war and, may be, soldiers are needed to overcome? We have to SAY!

"In times of a [moral] crisis, silence is not golden, it's yellow". - Several sources

Last edited:
"I'm Joon Wein" said one of the stars in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.

3.11 still works, as does Win 95. My uncle did a carrier as a high level engineer, and he's told me about computers that have run for decades, non stop. But out in the jungle, one has to be equipped with what is essential. Old stuff is old, that's the way the story goes.

"I'm Joon Wein" said one of the stars in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.

3.11 still works, as does Win 95. My uncle did a carrier as a high level engineer, and he's told me about computers that have run for decades, non stop. But out in the jungle, one has to be equipped with what is essential. Old stuff is old, that's the way the story goes.
Many government and hospital computers still run Windows XP, so this is a disaster waiting to happen (again).

Today being the 8th of April 2014 means that Microsoft have finally stopped supporting this amazing operating system. See the link below for more information.

Ref:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help
Already knew it, but why in the world would they want to end support to the worlds most loved and simple and basic OS? XP rules them all, man! Wouldn't it be better if XP made a return with all the features of Windows 10 XP-style? Maybe Microsoft can release a separate channel of customized OSes, like the return on Windows XP (should there be any) or if Microsoft cant do that, then someone can release a fan-made Windows XP OS with all legacy features and new features, and the OS can run both old XP style applications as well as newer versions.
You know what, I think this SHOULD happen!

Already knew it, but why in the world would they want to end support to the worlds most loved and simple and basic OS? XP rules them all, man! Wouldn't it be better if XP made a return with all the features of Windows 10 XP-style? Maybe Microsoft can release a separate channel of customized OSes, like the return on Windows XP (should there be any) or if Microsoft cant do that, then someone can release a fan-made Windows XP OS with all legacy features and new features, and the OS can run both old XP style applications as well as newer versions.
You know what, I think this SHOULD happen!
This post was 4 years old ( April 9 2014)
Why you send your post now ....

This post was 4 years old ( April 9 2014)
Why you send your post now ....
lol... The post isn't closed, so you can still discuss it. I don't see why you'd want to run XP at all. Even the 64-bit version was a bit flaky. It was a good OS for its time, but it is not optimized for current hardware. It is like saying, yes, it was great to run DOS. So efficient. Very small footprint. We have moved past that at this point. When XP came out, I remember that Microsoft did an ENORMOUS amount of marketing. There is a lot of nostalgia for this time period. On a basic level, the latest version of Windows 10 is still running on the NT/XP kernel. It has probably been almost entirely rewritten, and clearly the interface has changed drastically, but it really is just a newer version of XP anyway. So no I don't see any reason to keep supporting this OS. One of the HUGE problems IT departments had and have, is that some companies are still stuck on XP. I think this has probably diminished by now, but, no, in general, I do not think you would want to operate in that environment anymore. There is just not enough support for it and the ability to exploit it has gotten out of hand.

Agreed XP was great for it's time, but Windows 10 is superior in every regard vs XP. To Mikes point it still uses the NT kernel but it is indeed a complete rewrite and so is the Internet Explorer engine. MS basically gutted a lot of legacy support that really needed to go due to enhance the OS security model.

I've been involved in many large scale OS migrations (1000+ device) and they can be extremely difficult to execute mostly due to legacy applications that either don't have support, the company or people that created the software doesn't exist. I think we've been planning and developing our Windows 10 migration plan for at least a year at my current job. I built-out most of the imaging process for it and have been having a blast getting some older integral applications working on Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom