Windows 7 ZD WLAN (Retail Plus Wireless Adapter) Not Working

lolwut

I've just bought a new computer with a 64-bit Windows 7, and I can't get online with it because my old Retail Plus IEEE 802.11b/g Mini Wireless USB Adapter, which worked fine with my old Windows XP computer, doesn't seem to be compatible with my new one. I've plugged in the adapter and used the setup CD, but whenever I open it it just seems to appear in the Superbar for a second, then dissapear again. I've tried switching it's compatibility to Windows 2000 and such, but nothing works. I have a D-Link 524 router downstairs and the Microsoft website says it works fine with 7.

Should I buy a new adapter? If so what ones work with Windows 7? Or is there something I need to download online for it?

I would keep looking for new drivers. The drivers on a setup cd probably were made for XP.

See what your administrative logs say under Event Viewer custom

I have this same problem, and there are NO new drivers for it.
i also had XP and it worked awesome. now with windows 7 it does exactly how he described it, loads on task bar for a second and disappears. but it is still running in Task Manager, it just doesn't to anything. i have played with the compatibility and nothing worked. tried other driver versions, still nothing.

some help would be gladly appreciated

i found what the error it is getting but do not know how to fix it:
"The ZDPSp50 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

Last edited:
I have this same problem, and there are NO new drivers for it.
i also had XP and it worked awesome. now with windows 7 it does exactly how he described it, loads on task bar for a second and disappears. but it is still running in Task Manager, it just doesn't to anything. i have played with the compatibility and nothing worked. tried other driver versions, still nothing.
some help would be gladly appreciated

i found what the error it is getting but do not know how to fix it:
"The ZDPSp50 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

Well that's much better info.. what you have described indicates that it (whatever "it" is) needs to be running in Vista or Xp compabiltity mode.

You can go ahead and give me some power points... smile

Well that's much better info.. what you have described indicates that it (whatever "it" is) needs to be running in Vista or Xp compabiltity mode.

You can go ahead and give me some power points... smile

ummm.... sorry but i believe i said that compatibility mode wouldnt work either.
and just to humor you. i went through ALL of the compatibility modes (from vista SP2 all the way to windows 95....)

none of them worked. all gave the same error message

FYI: this program is the drivers and software for connecting to wifi structures with a usb wifi adapter made by Atheros

PS: device manager tells me that the drivers are not installed and the Windows 7 wireless finder says there is no wifi hardware installed

ummm.... sorry but i believe i said that compatibility mode wouldnt work either.
and just to humor you. i went through ALL of the compatibility modes (from vista SP2 all the way to windows 95....)

none of them worked. all gave the same error message

FYI: this program is the drivers and software for connecting to wifi structures with a usb wifi adapter made by Atheros

PS: device manager tells me that the drivers are not installed and the Windows 7 wireless finder says there is no wifi hardware installed

Ok... when you got your drivers do you know where were uncompressed to? The reason I asked is because a few months ago when new Graphics drivers came out for Win 7 I thought I had installed them.. however I kept seeing atikmadg errors in my Administrative logs... I finally found the .sys driver file was the problem and searched for it.

I found 2 ... the old one in \windows\system32 ...where drivers are USED by windows.. and the new one left hanging out to dry in a \fileRepository folder. When I manually copied the new driver.. well all drivers from that temp/backup/storage folder... whatever it's called.... Voila! No more crying about that problem.

Ok... when you got your drivers do you know where were uncompressed to? The reason I asked is because a few months ago when new Graphics drivers came out for Win 7 I thought I had installed them.. however I kept seeing atikmadg errors in my Administrative logs... I finally found the .sys driver file was the problem and searched for it.

I found 2 ... the old one in \windows\system32 ...where drivers are USED by windows.. and the new one left hanging out to dry in a \fileRepository folder. When I manually copied the new driver.. well all drivers from that temp/backup/storage folder... whatever it's called.... Voila! No more crying about that problem.

i downloaded it to documents/downloads and unzipped to desktop. and installed
then deleted the unzipped folder from my desktop

Back