Windows 7 2nd bluescreen of this week

John Shi

Hi I had a bluescreen last monday (6 days ago), and I had another one today. Last sunday I had random programs open, and I was watching a starcraft 2 replay when the blue screen hit me. Today I was just watching a video on the internet.

I tried downloading symbols and windows debug. The earlier minidump said something like "Probably caused by : memory_corruption," which sounds like it could be a billion things. I don't think my RAM is faulty - this pair has been working fine for several months, and after running memtest for 3h it showed no errors. Other minidump was more complicated so I have no idea.

Halp?

Btw I'm new here. Hi!

Attachments

• 101010-25864-01.dmp
    284.4 KB · Views: 414
  • 101710-18018-01.dmp
    284.4 KB · Views: 445
Hey there, welcome.

1) Uninstall EVGA Precision, the driver is too old for Windows 7:

RTCore64 RTCore64.sys Wed May 25 02:39:12 2005

Install the newest version of MSI Afterburner if you want to replace it.

2) Uninstall Avast! in safe mode using the tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Reboot and install MSE to replace it.

3) Update the NEC USB 3.0 driver from the motherboard website:

nusb3xhc nusb3xhc.sys Thu Jan 21 22:22:21 2010
nusb3hub nusb3hub.sys Thu Jan 21 22:22:18 2010

4) When done with those things, then open an elevated command prompt. Run this following command and follow the simple instructions:

chkdsk /r

If you have any USB flash drives or USB hard drives, remove them from the system until bsods are stopped for a while, to see if they're involved at all or not.

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

1. I had an older version of EVGA precision so I updated it just now.

2. Just curious - what's wrong with avast? And I'm assuming MSE = microsoft security essentials?

3. I went to the mobo site, downloaded the latest driver, but I think it just uninstalled and reinstalled them (think that means I may have already had the latest drivers)

Will do #4 after I get an answer to the avast question.

Thanks again.

Avast could have caused the 0x24 NTFS file system error you've had. Norton/Symantec does this quite often. So removing Avast and running the command gives excellent chances of alleviation, along with the other steps. They all also need to be done to determine if bsods continue or not. If so, your RAM is defective or set wrong in the bios.

Hopefully that new EVGA is newer than July 2009 or it hasn't helped at all, like I've shown.

Ok I did that stuff and went to do the chkdsk /r thing in the command prompt, but it said something about how chkdsk couldn't run because the volume is in use. Then it asked me if I want to do it on next restart Y/N so I hit Y and restarted my computer. Right before the windows welcome screen it said it was checking the disk, then it said the volume was clean - this all happened instantly like it didn't even do anything.

Cool. For the moment, use the pc normally as you always would. If any new crashes happen, post them and we will handle it further from there.

Hate to revive the thread, but about 2 weeks later I get a blue screen. I was just doing random stuff and playing a video game called heroes of newerth.

Ignored the blue screen, went on doing my stuff, system was stable for a few hours. Then I'm playing this game again, and I get another blue screen. I noticed something very specific however; I got a blue screen in the game when I was doing exactly what I was doing last time.

I was trying to watch a replay, but the replay game version was older so the game attempts to download an earlier version of the game to compensate and allow you to watch the replay. I noticed the blue screen popped up at the exact time when it was downloading the previous version. Coincidence? Can't be.

Dump filed attached.

Attachments

• 103110-20404-01.dmp
    284.4 KB · Views: 389
1) Update video driver:

nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Fri Jul 09 17:15:58 2010

Link Removed - Invalid URL

2) Update audio driver:

RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Mon Feb 08 05:24:50 2010

RtkHDAudio

3) Uninstall Virtual Audio Cable:

vrtaucbl vrtaucbl.sys Mon Feb 15 12:07:10 2010

4) Update Realtek lan driver:

Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Thu Mar 04 08:42:52 2010

RTL8111

5) When done, open an elevated command prompt and run this command -

chkdsk /r

------

Very likely there is a memory defect. Test overnight with Memtest86+ for errors to show.

Updated nvidia drivers, both realtek things, and uninstalled VAC.

Now running chkdsk (on a separate computer at the moment), and it's taking quite a while... remember last time it was nearly instant. This time it's on 26% of verifying > 200,000,000 free clusters. =/ 1TB harddrive supposed to take this long?

EDIT: attached pic. sry for resolution, took with phone

Attachments

• memtest.jpg
    memtest.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Chkdsk complete, said the disk was clean.

Sigh. Hope no more BSODs. Thanks a lot again TorrentG, and hopefully I won't have to post again.

Chkdsk complete, said the disk was clean.

Sigh. Hope no more BSODs. Thanks a lot again TorrentG, and hopefully I won't have to post again.

Cool, but seems you might have missed this part I posted:

"Very likely there is a memory defect. Test overnight with Memtest86+ for errors to show."

Anyhow, best of luck.

I don't have any CDs or floppies to use memtest86+ on. I think I've ran hci memtest for a few runs with stability. Can I just leave that on overnight?

EDIT: Nvm, I found a USB drive. Running memtest86+ on it overnight. Proceeding to go to sleep.

Last edited:
Go into the bios and Load Optimized Defaults on the first page. Save.

Use Windows and if it crashes, test again. If any errors are found, replace the memory.

Back
Top Bottom