Windows 10 5 ghz network takes forever to connect

todd24

my 2.4 ghz connection would connect instantly when i boot my computer... but it takes about 5 minutes for windows to connect to my 5ghz connection... whats causing it?

i checked and the 5ghz connection doesnt show up on the list of wireless connections for the first five minutes after booting my computer... also it seems windows has made two types of connections, one is called Wi-Fi and the other one is called Wi-Fi3... what gives?

Open a powershell prompt and type and post the output. It should tell us what each of these interfaces are
Code:
Get-WmiObject -Query 'select * from Win32_NetworkAdapter' | ? AdapterType -ilike "*802.3*" | fl *

As to the connection delay. How far away are you from the router? 5GHz has a shorter range. You can also grab an app like wifi-analyzer if you have an android and check the signal strength on the 5GHz band

its a TP-LINK archer t9e wireless networks card, the signal strength is about 78% (rated excellent by the tp link software), the modem is a netgear ac1600 and im using windows 10... my computer is about 3 feet away from the modem.

Are the antennas perpendicular to your system or parallel?

My cool ascii art :) If it's parallel there is about a 5-10 ft dead zone
[]
[]
[__router__] ---------------- [_computer__]

Also as a stated before get an app that can graph out all the visible networks, if there are other SSIDs with decent signal on an overlapping channel you can experience problems.

Get rid of the TP-link Wi-Fi adapter. Their drivers are junk!:down: We suggest you only use quality brand adapters such as cisco/Linksys or netgear. You get what you pay for!;)

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :bee:

Get rid of the TP-link Wi-Fi adapter. Their drivers are junk!:down: We suggest you only use quality brand adapters such as cisco/Linksys or netgear. You get what you pay for!;)

how do you know its the wireless networks card that's causing the problems? it was a pretty expensive networks card when i bought it...

Last edited:
i just tried connecting my nvidia shield tv to my wireless 5ghz network... the 5 ghz networks doesnt show up on the nvidia shield tv either for the first couple of minutes... im not sure if that will shred some light on the situtation but just thought i would see if the problem would be the same.

Last edited:
You never did run the command from reply #2, this would help identify what the Wi-Fi 3 interface is. If your Shield can't see the 5Ghz signal on your AP then it's possibly a faulty AP or you have neighboring APs that are overlapping the 5GHz band you are on

sorry for the late response... how much of the information from the powershell prompt do you need?

i dont want to risk compromising any security information

There's nothing in there that would compomise anything

Last edited:
Sounds like you are not interested in following our suggestions, and wish to figure it out on your own.:rolleyes: We've offered some good suggestions, and you've yet to complete them. Why ask for help if you don't want to try and follow our troubleshooting or recommedations??:scratch:

And on the TP-link adapter, it sounds like a PCI network card, not a laptop USB adapter. In that case, what exactly do you mean by expensive? NIC cards can go up to several hundred dollars? I personally have paid over $600 for a server NIC card. We know nothing about the type of computer you have such as make/model? Why not?
Some people think anything over $20 for a NIC is expensive. Good NICs for desktops run $50-$100 for name brands I've already mentioned. USB adapters run $35 and up; anything less and you are using junk IMO. But, hey, it's your computer, do what you want!

<<<BBJ>>>

Back