Windows 8 8.1 install problems

Lester

Honorable Member
I am now on my 4th time downloading this upgrade. When I ran it, it told me "Something went wrong..." and an error number 0x80004005. So I turned off virus scanning. I removed my dual booting and linux partitions. I made a bootable usb stick and rewrote the MBR, just in case. No change.

I tried running a refresh on Windows 8 to make sure everything was okay. It wasn't and it wouldn't run, but it didn't tell me what was wrong. You'd think they'd at least give you some guidance.

So I restored an old image taken soon after I had upgraded to Windows 8. I had to do a bunch of updates before it would even find the upgrade link in the store. Then it wouldn't even start the upgrade download. I read somewhere that file system problems would do that, so I ran chkdsk. It showed no problems, but after that it ran. It is now at 37%, downloading for the 4th time. You'd think that they'd at least let you keep an iso copy of the download so that you could reuse it if necessary.

I don't have a lot of hope that things will work this time. Any good ideas from anyone on what else to try?

Oh, by the way, this is on my laptop. The upgrade worked fine on my desktop, and I'm happily using that right now.

The size of the update is more than 3GB. Are you trying to download the update via wireless internet or wired? Unless you have fast internet, 3GB+ would really take a while via wireless download.

You do have a separate and legit key on the laptop? No offence, but if you are trying to use the same key, it could also cause that error number.

Do you have any outstanding updates from WU? Many people are having problems with the update if they have not installed some of the updates from WU.

It was odd. I ended up doing a complete reset to factory default in Windows 8. Then it worked. It was a legal setup, with a separate number. Fortunately it did keep my activation. I had upgraded from Windows 7 and I didn't really want to go back to that and start up the ladder again.

my laptop currently running on windows 8 and I was trying to download windows 8.1 from windows store after completing half of download it showing the error reading "This app cannot be installed Error code: 0x80240031. I tried 6 times 2 it showed the same massage. and four times it stopped without showing any massage. I lost my huge portion of data trying upgrade. please anybody help me in this regards.

thanks

my laptop currently running on windows 8 and I was trying to download windows 8.1 from windows store after completing half of download it showing the error reading "This app cannot be installed Error code: 0x80240031. I tried 6 times 2 it showed the same massage. and four times it stopped without showing any massage. I lost my huge portion of data trying upgrade. please anybody help me in this regards.

thanks

Did you download and install all the updates before upgrading to 8.1?

Did you make sure the machine was clean & healthy before the install?

Peruse the stuff on this page - http://www.bing.com/search?q=Error+code:+0x80240031&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE11SR

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

Do following if you have not so far:

1. Disconnect any devices connected to the PC.
  2. Disable/uninstall all anti-virus software (be sure to enable/reinstall later)
  3. Install all important updates from Windows Update before updating.

Back
Top Bottom