Windows 7 after extracing zip file explorer keeps crashing

neok182

my computer is not even useable right now and i've spent over an hour trying to fix it. i have hours of projects that need to get done and i can't afford to reinstall windows, which right now it looks like i'm going to have to do.

so heres what happenend

windows 7 home premium

i downloaded a zip file that had a single mkv video at about 10MB and nothing else.

when i went to extract it i got an error saying windows has crashed and has to restart, but then it happened again, and again and was a never ending loop that lasted about 15 minutes before i shut off the computer.

after turning it back on, same thing. Then i went into safe mode, in safe mode it does not happen so i figured i'd just erase the files and it'll be fixed.

So when trying to erase, rename or move, windows gets stuck on discovering files and never changes.

when trying to use command prompt to erase them i get "the system cannot find the file specified. and iv'e tried and rechecked over 100 times now.

I can open a command prompt inside the folder but same thing, system can't find the file specified.

So as far as i can tell, the files don't exist, but they show up there and i'm 99.999% sure thats whats causing the issue.

I really hope someone here can help, and fast. I'm literally going to fail 3 projects if i can't access my computer today, and reinstalling windows is pretty much out of the question as i just don't have time to do it.

so someone please please please help me.

my computer is not even useable right now and i've spent over an hour trying to fix it. i have hours of projects that need to get done and i can't afford to reinstall windows, which right now it looks like i'm going to have to do.

so heres what happenend

windows 7 home premium

i downloaded a zip file that had a single mkv video at about 10MB and nothing else.

when i went to extract it i got an error saying windows has crashed and has to restart, but then it happened again, and again and was a never ending loop that lasted about 15 minutes before i shut off the computer.

after turning it back on, same thing. Then i went into safe mode, in safe mode it does not happen so i figured i'd just erase the files and it'll be fixed.

So when trying to erase, rename or move, windows gets stuck on discovering files and never changes.

when trying to use command prompt to erase them i get "the system cannot find the file specified. and iv'e tried and rechecked over 100 times now.

I can open a command prompt inside the folder but same thing, system can't find the file specified.

So as far as i can tell, the files don't exist, but they show up there and i'm 99.999% sure thats whats causing the issue.

I really hope someone here can help, and fast. I'm literally going to fail 3 projects if i can't access my computer today, and reinstalling windows is pretty much out of the question as i just don't have time to do it.

so someone please please please help me.

For a quick and easy solution, download WinRAR: WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Are you willing to tell what file it was or an idea of where to find it? Perhaps in a private message so the link does not get put on this board.

If it doesn't happen in safe mode that normally means some driver is being loaded that is causing a problem. Have you tried checking msconfig.exe to see if you can disable some items. You can use other selective startup options to try to narrow down what might be starting up and causing the blue screens.

Last edited:
i managed to remove the files, but not through windows.

downloaded ubuntu and ran it off the disk and was able to erase the files without any issues at all. rebooted the computer into windows and everything was fine.

i love windows, but i'm praising linux right now for saving my ***

No disrespect. I have no problems with Linux or linux users, but it was a live CD that saved you, not neccesarily linux?

Maybe Jack didn't assimilate the conents of your first post - he was trying to help. But, for curiosity, if you have another (Non.OS) partition, it would be interesting to unzip that file again, on it, and see exactly what was the problem

No disrespect. I have no problems with Linux or linux users, but it was a live CD that saved you, not neccesarily linux?

Maybe Jack didn't assimilate the conents of your first post - he was trying to help. But, for curiosity, if you have another (Non.OS) partition, it would be interesting to unzip that file again, on it, and see exactly what was the problem

i downloaded and burnt the ubuntu ISO to a disk and then booted off of it. you can run the OS from the disk so i just went into my desktop folder and erased the files without any issue.

out of curiosity i extracted them in ubuntu and did load up windows again, same thing. so something was corrupted in the zip file most likely, but corruption that neither windows nor winzip noticed.

Back