Windows 7 All folders suddenly read only, can't be reset

dalefan3

I know this seems like a question that has been asked many times, but none of the solutions I have found have worked.

Recently, all of my folders on my hard drive have become read only. Even new folders I create are set to read only. However, all of the files remain unchanged.

I realize that some folders probably can't be changed for security reasons, so I have been trying to get a folder on my desktop to be changed. I am an administrator, and I have full control over the folder. I have tried command prompt using the attrib command and I have taken ownership of the folder. However, I still cannot change the folders from being read only.

I am running Version 6.1.7600 build 7600 in 64 bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I just checked, and both my thumb drive and external hard drive are in the same condition.

Last edited:
I think this is s security setting and cant be changed. I would give the program that keeps changing things Admin rights when it runs inside of the compatibility tab and see if that works before removing the read-only attribute in the Program folder.

Right click the program you wish to run. ( In program files - not the start menuhttp://www.sevenforums.com/# shortcut) Select properties and you will see the compatibility tab. As well as selecting the compatibility, tick, also, the square at the bottom of the wind to run as Administrator.

Compatibility Mode

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

Back