Windows 7 Appcrash on programs - StackHash_d957, help.

JenAndBerrys

Hi everyone,

first post here, due to this problem I am having regarding appcrash on several programs, mostly games. I have tried researching this problem alone, but cant seem to find a solution. Here is an example of what i get every time i try to open the affected programs (the executable is of course, varying):

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: civilizationbe_dx11.exe
Application Version: 1.0.2.666
Application Timestamp: 5510821c
Fault Module Name: StackHash_d957
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c000041d
Exception Offset: 76f311f1
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1044
Additional Information 1: d957
Additional Information 2: d9578c9eae8a196f6edc8073c6b923b5
Additional Information 3: 3a16
Additional Information 4: 3a16456bb465ec2c3400c130b04d91a7

What baffles me is that it just happened out of nowhere. I did not do download or install ANYTHING which shouldve triggered anything. So here I am, having no idea what caused this, and I ask for you help in the matter. Anyone here know how I should approach this?

You'll get StackHash module errors when windows couldn't identify the module it was in when the application crashed. In that case, the kernel simply takes a hash of the stack so at least we might be able to identify if you've seen this exact crash before.

I would start with a good 'ol Memory Checker, then update your drivers from there. Do you seem to see the error when in games mainly? Could indicate a graphics issue, try updating your video card drivers if that is the case.

Do you have DEP turned on for all programs by chance?

My drivers are up to date, and the appcrash happens before the program starts at all. I will run the memory check later on today. Just to clarify, nothing is pirated, so that cant be the fault.

I had DEP on, then changed it to the other option, while excluding those affected. This did not work, sadly enough. Doing a diagnostic startup did however let the involved programs work. It started exactly one week ago, and after i did a diagnostic startup followed by a regular boot, everything was normal until yesterday. And it said the same StackHash_d957 back then as well. I will be home for the rest of the day in about 2-3 hours from now, so then I will be able to reply more quickly. :) Thanks for help so far.

Just finished a check with the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Nothing wrong there. Do you have any other tips I could try out?

Edit: Did find out that it is mostly games that are affected, not all but many. Though graphics driver is up to date and everything seems fine.

Edit nr2: Also, if something is not clear, just tell me and I will try to explain it otherwise... My native language is not english

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom