Windows 7 Application Icon gone generic

kevphil

Honorable Member
This is not the end of the world, but it is an annoyance.

One of my application icons (3DS Max 2012) has gone generic. This is true for the original application and its shortcut. Double clicking still opens the app; I just wonder why this is happening? (Let me stress that I'm talking about the App.exe itself, and not the files created by the program.)

I'm surprised that I can't find this problem having been posted before on this forum.

Any utility out there that addresses this issue?

Thanks!

Have you tried changing it back to the original icon (by left-clicking the icon, selecting Properties, then clicking "Change Icon..."?

Have you tried changing it back to the original icon (by left-clicking the icon, selecting Properties, then clicking "Change Icon..."?

hey, hikerguy; I assume you mean right-clicking, then choosing "Properties"--? I don't see "Change Icon" anywhere in the Properties box? Where is that command?

Sorry if I'm dense...

WAIT!! I did get it to work on a shortcut to my app, but not the original .EXE file. So I'm halfway there! Thanks a lot for the tip, hikerguy!

kevphil,

You are correct. I meant to say right-click. I realized I mislead you a bit. I had clicked on a regular folder icon, but right-clicking on the app doesn't work that way. I just found out if you hold down the SHIFT key, then right-click, it will bring up the Properties window. Here you should see the Change Icon... option near the bottom of the window. Try that and let us know if that works.

Icon problems are often caused by malware. I recommend you do a thorough scan. It never harms, does it?

Sorry, hikerguy. No joy. I tried different key combinations and nothing worked, letting go of Shift at different times, etc., but nothing brought up the "Change Icon" option in the Properties box.

However, I DO appreciate the help!

@Titanic: I have Malwarebytes and ran it just recently. But I guess I can give it another go. Thanks.

Many times it seems this happens if something has changed some directories and the file that contains the icon has been misplaced. I suppose something could also have changed the file association for that exe.

You can find what icon is set to be used for that .exe in the registry if you search for the exec file.

Attached is an image of the "change icon" for 3ds-Max 2012.

Icons are many times embedded in dll files. This is the place for the 3ds-Max icon:
%SystemRoot%\Installer\{723C8298-C7B0-0409-A1B6-C3BA6F3FFAB1}\ico_product

Attachments

• ICON.JPG
    ICON.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 2,159
Attached is an image of the "change icon" for 3ds-Max 2012.

Icons are many times embedded in dll files. This is the place for the 3ds-Max icon:
%SystemRoot%\Installer\{723C8298-C7B0-0409-A1B6-C3BA6F3FFAB1}\ico_product

The screen shot you sent refers to the application Shortcut; the "Change Icon" command is not available when you look at Properties for the actual, original Application icon.

I'm afraid I'm not savvy enough to find the dll you reference; I don't understand the syntax. What would I actually search for in the Start search box--? (I don't know what %SystemRoot% means, for example.) Sorry to be dense.

Thanks!

Sorry, I missed that part. Download a 3ds max icon from here: 3ds max 2012 icon - Google Search and then use it change the exe icon like this: Link Removed - Invalid URL

I appreciate the effort on your part, but the actual "fixing" is a little too intimidating for me. As I said, everything does work as is at the moment, so I think I'll let the max icon stay on vacation. :)

But Thanks!

I appreciate the effort on your part, but the actual "fixing" is a little too intimidating for me. As I said, everything does work as is at the moment, so I think I'll let the max icon stay on vacation. :)

But Thanks!

It's intimidating for me too when this happens! :)

Copy and paste this into your Windows browser path:
%SystemRoot%\Installer
and click enter.

(First click on an empty space in the line to get it to be text, then select all and paste)

Then do a search for 3dsMax2012.
The file that comes up should be called 3dsMax2012-standalone.mst
Right click the file and choose "open file location".

The location that opens should have that file with another file called ico_product. (That is the file that has the icon).
If not, tell me and I will send it to you.

If yes, tell me and we will think how to reset your icon cache.

The location that opens should have that file with another file called ico_product. (That is the file that has the icon).
If not, tell me and I will send it to you.

If yes, tell me and we will think how to reset your icon cache.

hi, zvit: I do have the files you name. Amazing stuff! Now, what do I do next? :)

I can open the file with FreeFileViewer, but it's all code, no graphic inside. I maybe should mention that along the way, I also downloaded and ran Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat to no avail. (It was mentioned in another thread on these forums.)

Thanks!

ZVIT;

I need to set things aside for the day. I really appreciate your help on this, and I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

Thanks, man.

Let's first do a simple fix that should work. Re-install 3ds max and choose repair installation. Restart. This should fix these kinds of issues with most software.

Hi

Follow the instructions above and you can change the anything you want.
I like to make my own icons just for the self aggrandizement.

As for the .exe file itself, Windows doesn't give you the option to change the icon for them if they are embedded into the executable.

It could be done but it's not worth the effort.

Why do you want to change the icon on the .exe file?
If you really wan't to change it the link that zvit posted shows how step by step.

For the most part I never see my .exe files unless I'm looking at it to make a shortcut.

I.e. Right click "Send To", "Desktop".

Once it's there you can change it to what ever you want.

Mike

Last edited:
I have been trying to think this problem through. Since I am not a programmer, it is a different area.

But you have an application's icon, for its .exe file using a placeholder in Windows Explorer. Since I believe Mike is correct about the icon normally being coded directly into the .exe, how could it go missing?

One thing you might try is to use the CTRL+Mouse Wheel to change the size of the icons in explorer. Maybe it will work at one size but not another.

If this makes no difference, then could the resource be in another location and not hard coded? If that was the case, if the path to that resource was incorrect, or somehow access was being denied to that resource, or the resource had been moved, perhaps that could cause a generic icon to appear.

I was also thinking if the Path variable was not set up correctly, perhaps it could have an effect.

A reinstall of the application, as Zvit has suggested, should correct the situation, or perhaps there is a repair option in the Programs and Features dialog.

If you don't get it straightened out, I will install the app and see if I can find anything.

Since I believe Mike is correct about the icon normally being coded directly into the .exe,

Where to embed the icon is a programmer's preference. Icons stored in the exe are stored as bmp's so you would have to add extra code to convert them to icons (today it's done automatically). Not a problem but many prefer to embed them in resource files like dll's or XML's or any other file format. (Like 3ds Max made it's own resource files). The only downside to resource files is that if the folder containing the information is changed or moved, the application won't know where it is. Usually, this is not a problem since the resource files are usually in a place that people don't go to.

I personally embed icons into the exe when it's a small application. (Less than 500 lines of code).

Which version are you running as far as updates. It appears there in an update 10 and maybe an SP2? Did the Icon disappearance have anything to do with an update?

Not a problem but many prefer to embed them in resource files like dll's or XML's or any other file format. (Like 3ds Max made it's own resource files).
Zvit, is the location of the resource file hardcoded, or is it an option that might be in the registry or some .ini file? Do you have the software installed?

Last edited:
Back