Windows 7 ASUS Laptop does not detect Wifi every time it reboots

cad3nza

Every time I restart or turn on my ASUS U36JC laptop (functioning on Windows 7) after shutting it down, I cannot connect to any WiFi networks because it tells me that no connections are available, when I am 100% positive that there ARE networks.

I temporarily address this issue by going to Start >> Device Manager >> Network Adapters >> Highlight "Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter" >> Uninstall >> Scan for hardware changes (which reinstalls the adapter) >> Problem temporarily solved, but passwords for wireless connections I've previously connected to are wiped out.

This isn't solving the problem because every time I shut down my computer, the issue comes back when I turn it back on.

I am a complete dummy when it comes to these hardware / software things. Could someone help? Thanks so much!

Not contradictory to Trouble:

Quite often it's a sound move to start from the start.

1. Instead of hunting for latest drivers, uninstall / disconnect everything. Then run a Registry Cleaner, like CCleaner. Then reboot, and see what Windows does --- if it automatically installs drivers, and that it should do, watch for the results.

2. If you have the original drivers on a CD, or something, you may try them - but first, get rid of the present ones.

Thanks for the suggestions, both.

Regarding Pauli's suggestion, I wasn't sure what to uninstall so I decided to try my luck and run the registry cleaner straight away. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the driver as per Trouble's suggestion. No drivers were automatically installed. The problem is still there. Could it be something to do with my shut down / boot up process, since it only (and always) happens when I boot up my laptop?

Also, I'm not sure if this is a red herring but I shall mention it anyway: sometimes when I attempt to connect to my home WiFi, it disappears from the list of available WiFis as soon as I click on it, or immediately after I enter my password. It does not reappear if I wait for it to do so. I have to uninstall and reinstall the WiFi driver before seeing it again. This is very strange and happens randomly.

Spirit Wolfe, sorry I don't really get what you're saying. My WiFi speed is fine. My laptop just can't detect my home WiFi whenever it reboots. Are you saying that you experienced this before, and Driver Detective was the solution?

By the way guys, PROGRESS: I performed a clean startup, which resulted in my laptop being able to detect wireless networks when rebooted. However, strangely, the only network that it did not detect was my home wireless. I had to uninstall/reinstall the driver again for my wireless to be detected. Still not fully solved /:

Speed isn't really equal with connectivity. We had phone connections with only 28 or 56 kb and folks were happy to play Descent and other games, considered huge at the time. People did wonders with capacity / memory minimal to modern standards. Not sure about the amount, but Emperor Bill Gates stated that No one will ever need more than 56k in BIOS - or something, I take no responsibility here.

I would still, cad3nza, recommend to start from start. Original basic installation. Then upgrade.

I will give it a shot, Pauli. Do you mean reformatting my computer? Also, do you know what's the most efficient way to back up all my personal files?

Hi guys,

I have accidentally found what I hope is the solution to my issue. I noticed that the two-finger scroll on my touchpad had mysteriously stopped functioning, after attempting to narrow the problematic service using the clean boot environment. I hence uninstalled and reinstalled the Synaptics driver (of which I downloaded from here). On reboot, I found that my WiFi issue had returned, when it had been perfectly fine for the past couple of days (I wasn't sure what I did exactly).

I hence manually uninstalled the driver again just to be sure, which resulted in the WiFi issue disappearing. Strangely enough, my touchpad functionality is back - despite me uninstalling the touchpad driver.

Eh?! I'm not too sure what's happening / happened, but my computer looks good now. If it remains that way for the next five days, I'll mark this thread as solved. Thanks so much for the help, guys! :)

A computer is an integrated entity, if something doesn't work it may effect other areas. I hope you have it solved, in most cases: if it works, it's fine. No need to ponder the existentialism of your machine! Best of all.

Back
Top Bottom