Windows 7 Auto-Install SP1 & 2 and now no Internet Connectivity

valsoftball02

Hi.

My grandfather called me yesterday and said the other day - his Dell Desktop automatically downloaded Sp1 and Sp2 and once it restarted - he could no longer connect to the internet. *Note - he is connected via a cable to the router* The computer shows he's connected to the router but it cannot connect to the internet.

He tried to use a "restore point" prior to the update, but they were all gone.
There are 2 other computers connected to the internet and neither have any issues - one is connected via a cable and the other wireless.

I checked the settings on the router and modem and don't see any "stand-out" type issues.

I'm not sure what else to do or check?

Can someone help?!

Thanks!

Take a look in device manager and expand the network adapters.
Highlight (select) then right click the problem adapter and choose properties.
Select the driver tab and see if the "Roll Back" button is available. If so give that a try and reboot.
See if that helps.
Keep us posted and welcome to the forum.
Regards
Randy

I tried to roll back the driver and it doesn't give me the option. That button cannot be selected. I even tried to plug a wireless card in and it has signal but still won't connect!Help!!!!!!!!

Start with the basics, determine what he has for an IP address on his ethernet adapter (just concentrate on the wired connection now and leave any wireless out of the equation for the time being)
Open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
and hit enter
we need to see that information to determine if there is any glaring issues with his IP schema. So whatever you need to do to copy and paste that into your next post.
Use the F8 key at system startup and select safemode with networking and see if that produces any better results.
Open the network and sharing center and run the troubleshooter and see if that provides any information.
See if you can ping the router (default gateway), see if you can ping one of the other computers that you say are working on the network, see if you can ping 64.233.169.99
let us know the results of the above actions
Keep us posted
Regards
Randy

EDIT: And can you explain what is Sp2 that he installed.

Last edited:
I booted in safe mode and it still is not working.

I was able to ping another computer in the network with no problems but cannot ping the address you gave me below...

I've attached my screenshots.

Attachments

• ipconfig screenshot 1.png
    ipconfig screenshot 1.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 458
  • ipconfig screenshot 2.png
    ipconfig screenshot 2.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 312
check the ipconfig /all results on the other machine 192.168.1.3 that you were able to ping and check and see if it is using the same default gateway and DNS server 192.168.1.1 as the problem machine 192.168.1.6 and let us know. And make sure that the working machine can ping the 64.233.169.99 address without issue.
Report back and will proceed from there.

check the ipconfig /all results on the other machine

From 192.168.1.3 I tried pinging 192.168.1.6 and it did not work.

I then tried from 192.168.1.6 (problem computer) to ping the 192.168.1.3 again - and now it's not working.

They are both on the same DNS server and default gateway. I'm attaching both computer's ipconfig/all statements.

Also, from the computer that works (192.168.1.3) the address 64.233.169.99 doesn't work.

Attachments

• 192.168.1.6_ping.bmp
    811.1 KB · Views: 545
  • 192.168.1.3_ping.bmp
    968.8 KB · Views: 471
  • 192.168.1.3_ipconfig.bmp
    831.6 KB · Views: 512
OK, determine if you have any third party software firewalls installed on either or both like Comodo or ZoneAlarm, likewise any third party internet security suites that probably have some type of firewall applet.
Unistall any such programs using the programs and features applet in the control panel, followed by the vendor specific proprietary removal tool, there is a list here and if yours is not present google for it and run it.
Consider replacing any antivirus product with Link Removed due to 404 Error and allowing the built in Windows Firewall product to handle the rest for the time being.
We have to overcome the inability to ping other network nodes on your subnet before we can proceed further, so let's get that sorted out first.
If you have made any changes to the built in Windows Firewall please advise.
Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

It looks like the DNS access is failing, you are only getting as far as the router, but the router cannot communicate with the ISP modem. It will, of course, under those circumstanxces, still be able to ping the other computers on the Lan. Try, in the first instance, this. Find the Network adapter in the device manager and disable it. Now reset the ISP Modem (Just a quick reset - on/off) and the router ditto. Re-enable the Network adapter, log off and on again and see if the connection is established.

If not,try a reset, like this:

Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)

Type, in turn, the following commands, and "enter" after each.

1. To reset the WINSOCK entries to the defaults:

netsh winsock reset catalog

2. To reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to the defaults.

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

3. To Reset the IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation to the defaults.

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the and see if you have a connection.

Last edited:
Back