Windows 8 Black Screen After System Restore

Are you getting the options in the attachment

Attachments

• Recovery_Opts.JPG
    Recovery_Opts.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 276
The /info said it was enabled. I tried the rebuildbcd, and it said there were no windows installations. And no, I have most, but not the one on the bottom right. Pressing f9 takes me to those options, though.

I am going to shut down for the night. Try doing a couple of startup repairs and then shut the system completely down and try again. Make sure the bios is showing that install as the primary boot.

If it isn't working by tomorrow, I will try removing the BCD store entries to match yours to see if I can duplicate your situation....

Alright. I'm going to try to remove the hard drive, so I can either format it from another computer, or just remove enough files that it'll run the startup repair. I'll post back if it works.
EDIT: I got the drive out, but I don't have an adapter. To clarify from earlier, here's what I would do with this plan:
Remove the drive.
Connect it to the laptop of someone who has 8.1 installed (it came preinstalled). One with 8 is also available if necessary, since that is what my computer shipped with.
I would then use this connection to format the hard drive from that laptop, instead of from mine. from what I read this would completely blank the hard drive, removing everything, including the OS. (I'm not entirely sure if that would be the case, since this computer shipped to me with windows 8 already installed. A method that would restore everything, OS included to factory settings instead of destroying it outright would also work, but this is the first time I've tried to do this, and I don't know if it would work.)
Assuming the above did not leave an OS, I would then use an image(or something, I'm not entirely clear on what I would do at this point) of the windows edition in whichever of the other computers I used to reinstall windows to my hard drive. If there is no way to use the other laptops, my college gives out free editions of Windows 7 to students, which would be an acceptable outcome at this point.
Hopefully that clears it up, I was kind of vague earlier. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have had a setback in that when I booted my system this morning, the BCD store entry I thought was missing on your system did not show up on mine, so I have been going down the wrong road.

If you format the entire drive, it will remove the Recovery partition with the Factory Image. You may want to keep that in case. Still not sure why your factory reset will not work, but I might be able to do some research next week on that front.

Again, no cause of the problem is evident. If it were a video problem, booting into Safe Mode should have corrected that.

I will be trying some other things, but will wait to see where you are after your process.

Below is my Reagentc /info readout, which includes entries for both the Windows Recovery Tools and a Factory Restore image. You might check yours to make sure the Factory image is registered.

C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /info
Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
Information:

Windows RE status: Enabled
Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE
Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 2364aedd-7ef4-11e3-bd5c-9a0ff7f558f3
Recovery image location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\RecoveryImage
Recovery image index: 1
Custom image location:
Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

Last edited:
Are there any methods of formatting that would keep the recovery disc and reset the OS? One of the sites I looked at mentioned a quick format that sounded like that. If not, would I be able to use their Windows editions, or would I be better downloading the free one from my school?

You can just format the OS partition and remove any problems with it. Your situation may still involve something related to the boot system, but hard to tell. When you get the Partition missing message when you try to reset, it might be related to the OS version difference. On thing to try to get it to reset would be to format the C: partition and see if it will complete the reset. But you really can't recommend that to someone who does not have some type of backup to recover in case it does not work.

If you have access to the install files for the same version of Windows 8 currently on your system, you may be able to just reinstall and the embedded key will allow activation. You may even be able to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 with the same version and use the general key to install and allow the embedded key to activate. This is an area in which I currently have no experience, so I can't really say what will or will not work.

Ok, I'll look for install files and my key when I get my hard drive connected. Like I said, worst case scenario I can still access an edition of Windows.

Back