Windows 8 Boot straight to the desktop

Drew

Banned
Boot straight to the desktop

Here's how:

Using Windows 8's own built-in Task Scheduler to bypass the Metro Start screen is a delicious irony.
First, open the Task Scheduler by typing Schedule tasks in the Settings search or type Schedule Tasks on Start.

Once the Task Scheduler is open, click Create Task under Task Scheduler Library in the Actions pane. Name your task "Boot to desktop" or something similar. Open the Triggers tab, select New, and choose At log on in the 'Begin the task' drop-down menu at top. Click OK, and then open the Actions tab, select New once again, and enter explorer in the Program/script field.

Save the action and the task, and you're done! From now on, every time you log in to Windows, you'll automatically jump to the desktop, where an open Libraries folder will greet you.

Jim, not sure exactly what you mean & I'm, still, just hitting Enter from Start to Desktop. But, I would think it should/would produce something like this screen shot and w/out touching on Start, 1st.

Screenshot (5).JPG

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

There is a much faster way than going through all these steps;
Once the Task Scheduler is open, click Create Task under Task Scheduler Library in the Actions pane. Name your task "Boot to desktop" or something similar. Open the Triggers tab, select New, and choose At log on in the 'Begin the task' drop-down menu at top. Click OK, and then open the Actions tab, select New once again, and enter explorer in the Program/script field.

With "Hibernation" enabled, from the "Desktop", use the "ALT"/"F4" key combo to bring up the "Shutdown" menu, from that drop down menu, select "Hibernation" and click "Ok"
This will shut down your computer and when you power back on, you'll be right where you left off, the Desktop. Shaves 5-10 seconds off normal cold boot.

For those who want to know how to enable Hibernation and exactly what it does, go here;
How To Enable Windows 8 Hibernate Option

Enjoy
Don

Or one can just put the Desktop tile @ the Top-left position & simply hit ENTER when the Start screen appears on the rare times one Boots.

Cheers,
Drew

That's the one, Drew. I was reading the method you outlined on another site, a couple of days ago. I tried it and found that it was a lot quicker just to hit that tile!

Yes, David, either just click that Tile OR position it & just hit ENTER. Basically the good ole KISS principle.

Cheers,
Drew

Just hitting the tile my boot up time for my SSD is 12 seconds. To boot into my HDD it takes about 30 seconds. Either way I am satisfied with that speed.

Back