Windows 10 Brand new computer, wifi super slow

williamcro

On August 20th I got my Toshiba satellite 15.6 touchscreen notebook, and the wifi has been super slow whereas it works fine on other computers.

This probably doesn't fit in this forum but I can't find another subforum that matches my issue

The computer came with windows 8.1, but after tons of tries I updated to Windows 10. The wifi was still this slow on Windows 8, so I have no clue what the problem is.

Could you give us some examples as to why you believe the wireless is slow?

If you open Task Manager, go to Performance and select the Wireless window, you can get your connection speed by right clicking on the graph and selecting System status or one of the option. Let us know at what speed it shows. . and are you using a 2.4 G or 5 G connection.

If you have a wired adapter on the system, you might disable it for testing if it is enabled. Open the Network Connections panel (ncpa.cpl), select the adapter and right click then select disable.

What signal strength is the wireless connection?

Would you happen to know why you had problems updating to Windows 10?

Could you give us some examples as to why you believe the wireless is slow?

If you open Task Manager, go to Performance and select the Wireless window, you can get your connection speed by right clicking on the graph and selecting System status or one of the option. Let us know at what speed it shows. . and are you using a 2.4 G or 5 G connection.

If you have a wired adapter on the system, you might disable it for testing if it is enabled. Open the Network Connections panel (ncpa.cpl), select the adapter and right click then select disable.

What signal strength is the wireless connection?

Would you happen to know why you had problems updating to Windows 10?
The reason I believe my wifi is slow is because loading up a simple page takes 10 - 20 seconds whereas on another computer it loads up usually less in 3. Running multiple tabs makes it even worse. Downloading and other wifi related programs are affected too.

It shows 72 MBPS which obviously isn't how fast it's running on my computer. I am using a 2.4 G connection and my 5 g connection doesn't show up under my networks.
I don't have a wireless adapter current plugged in.

I have all bars showing for my signal strength..

I had problems updating to Windows 10 because if my wifi ever hiccuped it would cancel the download and I'd have to wait another 3 hrs for it to finish.

OK, there are many speed test sites so find one you like but here is one. This will tell us how the system handles your Internet speed.

Speed Test | Time Warner Cable

There are other utilities you can use to check your connection. A ping test is one which gives you some idea of how long it takes to reach some site. If you ping your router and something like google.com you may notice some problem.

If your system does not have a good DNS server, it may take longer than normal to load a page. Something like this would show up if you entered the URL for the site or the IP address.

Most of these tests are run from an administrative command prompt. If you need help running a ping check, let us know. You also have the ability of running identical tests on your different systems and comparing the results as well as comparing what settings are shown if you enter the command ipconfig /all in that same Admin Command prompt.

OK, there are many speed test sites so find one you like but here is one. This will tell us how the system handles your Internet speed.

Speed Test | Time Warner Cable

There are other utilities you can use to check your connection. A ping test is one which gives you some idea of how long it takes to reach some site. If you ping your router and something like google.com you may notice some problem.

If your system does not have a good DNS server, it may take longer than normal to load a page. Something like this would show up if you entered the URL for the site or the IP address.

Most of these tests are run from an administrative command prompt. If you need help running a ping check, let us know. You also have the ability of running identical tests on your different systems and comparing the results as well as comparing what settings are shown if you enter the command ipconfig /all in that same Admin Command prompt.
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
That's amazing as far as I know, but even as I'm connected directly to my router I still have problems loading pages

I would run some of the other tests. The ipconfig /all command might tell you, or us, something..

You say your are getting 74 MBps, which translates to about 600 Mbps. If that is the situation, you have a fairly fast wireless connection. I am being a little confused about exactly what connection you have now. You should be running all these tests with the WiFi, which is the original post.

I believe there is also a Networking Troubleshooter, you may want to try that.

Hi

Those are a lot faster then my connection speeds.

PING 26 ms, Download Speed Mbps 29.53, Upload Speed 6.08 Mbps, mine have been pretty consistent for years.

Pages open in a couple of seconds.

What browser are you using and have you tried a different one to see if you get the same results?

Mike

Back