Windows 8 Browser Choice update? (KB976002)

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft is providing the Browser Choice update to comply with a legal settlement with the European Commission. Microsoft is required to inform customers who currently use Internet Explorer as their default browser that there are other web browser choices available. You can use the Browser Choice update to select and install the web browser you want to use on your PC.

Who will get the Browser Choice update?

If you're using Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 and you have your regional settings set to one of the following countries or regions, you’ll get the Browser Choice update through the Windows Update service:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

What happens when I receive the update?

After downloading the update and restarting your PC, the update will check to see if Internet Explorer is your default web browser. If it is, the following will happen:

On a PC running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, a shortcut for the Browser Choice update will be put on your desktop. On a PC running Windows 8, a tile for the Browser Choice update will be added to the Start screen.

On a PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8, the Internet Explorer shortcut will be unpinned from the taskbar.

The Browser Choice information screen will open. Tap or click OK or Continue to move to the next screen.

The Browser Choice screen will open for you to install or learn more about other browsers.

Do I have to choose a browser right away?

No, you can tap or click Select later to be prompted to choose a browser the next time you log on. You can open the Browser Choice screen anytime by double-clicking the shortcut on your desktop in Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 or tapping or clicking the Browser Choice tile on the Start screen in Windows 8.

What if I want to keep the default browser I have now?

On a PC running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, close the Browser Choice screen by clicking the Close button in the top right corner. On a PC running Windows 8, drag the Browser Choice screen from the top to the bottom of your screen to close it. You won't be prompted to choose again, though you can start the Browser Choice screen at any time by double-clicking the shortcut on your desktop or tapping or clicking the Browser Choice tile on the Start screen.

Is Internet Explorer removed by the Browser Choice update?

The Browser Choice update doesn't add or remove any programs from your computer. Internet Explorer will still be available from the Start menu or Start screen. If you're using Windows 7 or Windows 8, you can choose to pin it back on your taskbar. For more information about how to pin a program to your taskbar, see Pin a program to the taskbar.

How do I select and install web browsers using the Browser Choice update?

Follow these steps to use the Browser Choice update to install one or more browsers to your computer:

Do one of the following:

On a PC running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the Browser Choice shortcut on the desktop.

On a PC running Windows 8, tap or click the Browser Choice tile on the Start screen.

In the Welcome screen, tap or click OK or Continue.

In the Select your web browser(s) screen, for each browser you want to install, tap or click Install. Tap or click Tell me more for information about any of the browsers.

Follow any on-screen instructions to install the browser you chose.

The full version of this FAQ can be found here:

What is the Browser Choice update? (KB976002) - Microsoft Windows

Back