Windows Vista Browser stops working after a while

what is that ICS or whatever thing u are talking about that u did?

Go to the Network and Sharing center, then manage wireless networks. Click on the network you are using and choose adapter properties. A small window will pop-up, click the sharing tab. Uncheck the top box that says 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection'. Then just click okay.
So far it's been 48 hours and I haven't had the problem of loosing connection.

Hi!
I wrote post #40. I was having the same problems described in this thread. I haven't done any installations or uninstallations but the symptoms have not manifested recently (an entire weekend).

I'm not sure if there was a Windows update that came through silently or if it helped that I accepted to remotely assist someone else with an unrelated Vista issue.

Has anyone else, that was having this problem, noticed a similar change? If you did, then maybe whatever the culprit was got fixed by an auto-update. If you didn't then maybe my problem isn't resolved yet or it is resolved but I have no clue what I did that fixed it.

Hi,
I had the same problem. On My laptop, my browsers were often not working (or sometime extremly slow) but MSN or voice communication on Skype were allways fine and working perfectly. ((I actually dont have any spyware or anything nasty on my laptop, as I use a different PC for all utorrent download or anything I am not 100% sure off))

I actually followed the previous instructions:
"Go to the Network and Sharing center, then manage wireless networks. Click on the network you are using and choose adapter properties. A small window will pop-up, click the sharing tab. Uncheck the top box that says 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection'. Then just click okay."---thanks for the post by the way ;-)

...and straight away the browsers were back running normally. I previously had setup a home network with my desktop, which I have simply deleted. I now use only a straight Internet connexion to my router - nothing else - but at least Internet is working!

It seems to be a problem with wireless card or something. (all user on forum (and me) have this problem with Laptops)

I am Runnig:
Laptop HP Pavillon dv9500
AMD Turion64 tl-58
Memory 2047MB
NVIDA nForce Networking Controller
Broadcom 4321AG 802.11 WiFi

Bear in mind that all post have been made by laptop users with WIFI connection...the problem is definitively there: try to run without local network or PDA...just straight "WIFI to router"

Hope this helps
Etienne

It is good to see lot of people with same problem as mine here in Italy !
My laptop:
- Sony VAIO VGN-BX61XN
- Windows Vista Business with SP1
- Intel PRO\WIRELESS 3945/ABG
-
Other software
- Spybot
- Avast
- Zonealarm

I am fighting with this problem since 1,5 month !

I tried everything you listed here except: to disable AVAST webshield, to disable Zonealarm,and to deinstall spybot. I will do it asap.

Who is familiar with NetMonitor can tell us what happened on the network during the issue.

I confirm what someone told us before.
When htt trafic stop to work (Firefox and IE) I stop the Avast Webshield and I restart IE
It WORKS !!
I don't have to restart all computer.

Hi Alexdra,
thankyou for posting this information. It's posts like yours that will allow us to build up a data base of what works and what doesn't...
Thankyou

Hi Alexdra,
thankyou for posting this information. It's posts like yours that will allow us to build up a data base of what works and what doesn't...
Thankyou

You welcome.
Now I am using the Avast "Webshield" proxy (proxy: 127.0.0.1 port: 12080). It is since yesterday I don't have problems anymore. I hope my nightmare is finish.

Well , after reading through these messages other people left here. I can say my experience, check this out!

Really dont freaken understand why, how, what the **** caused this to happen. I have 4 Laptops online in the house, 1 PC and all are dong fine on the network, browsing and all. Including the laptop running Vista Enterprise. So, one day my vista enterprise laptop haad a registry problem and basically forced me , and was less agrivation so I formatted the laptop and installed vista enterprise. When after 10min I cannot connect to any URL via ie. My Torrent downloading seems fine, I can send and receive email. I can ping the outside internet. Sounds crazy, so beleive me it aint spyware, viruses, I am a great king of virus and spyware detection and removal. I have formatted the PC again, mostly because this to me became an exprience within Vista, I could not understand what this was just yet. So now I have re-installed Vista again, after 10-15min it starts happening again. Just to my laptop, I am running Vista Enterprise at work and no problems, it is also running Vista SP1. IT AINT VIRUSES OR SPYWARE, REGISTRY. Right now I have yet to find out. I will post any news I have on this. Cheers!

finally, my misery finds company.

ditto - laptop running vista home premium

but unlike many, i never need to reboot. i just close down the browser entirely and restart it, or switch from ie to firefox (or vice versa), until neither works, then i restart one of them.

this has been going on for months, but it seems to have gradually gotten worse (browser connection fails more quickly). i was really hoping SP1 would do the trick, but no such luck.

many people here complain about avast, but i run AVG free (just upgraded to 8.0) and have the problem.
and i don't have ICS turned on, so that isn't the problem either.

thinking of calling microsoft to harass them about this. the more of us who do, the more likely it will be taken seriously (maybe?).

Hi guys

I might be clutching at straws here but found the following post that I was not aware of.
"It seems to be a problem with the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets. In XP it’s off and in Vista it’s on. Non Microsoft DHCP servers don’t like this. See the fix on the next page;

1. Start –> run –> regedit.exe
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
3. {GUID} sub-key refers to the network adapter that is having the issue. In my case my Intel Pro 2200BG card.
4. Add a new DWORD (32bit) value and rename it to “DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggleâ€Â￾.
5. Modify the “DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggleâ€Â￾ key and change the value to “1″.
6. Modify the “DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlagâ€Â￾ key and change the value to “0″.
7. Reboot and test the connection again with DHCP. (The reboot is optional)

Read the full article at Microsoft

Hope it helps!!!!!!!!

Hrm... It has been two days since I uninstalled SP1 and still had more vista updates going on... After completing them everything seems fine. So far, no problems at all. But I will need to wait a couple of more days and see what the results are. It is possible that uninstalling Vista SP1 and completing the updates has fixed this problem? hrm, seems as though I installed SP1 too quick and the patches should of been fully patched before installing SP1. Well c in time I guess. I will post my results in a few days.

Hi guys

I might be clutching at straws here but found the following post that I was not aware of.
\"It seems to be a problem with the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets. In XP it’s off and in Vista it’s on. Non Microsoft DHCP servers don’t like this. See the fix on the next page;

1. Start –> run –> regedit.exe
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesTcpipParametersInterfaces{GUID}
3. {GUID} sub-key refers to the network adapter that is having the issue. In my case my Intel Pro 2200BG card.
4. Add a new DWORD (32bit) value and rename it to “DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggleâ€Â￾.
5. Modify the “DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggleâ€Â￾ key and change the value to “1″.
6. Modify the “DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlagâ€Â￾ key and change the value to “0″.
7. Reboot and test the connection again with DHCP. (The reboot is optional)

Read the full article at Microsoft

Hope it helps!!!!!!!!

In my case this configuration didn't help (Sony VAIO - VGN-BX61XN - Vista Business SP1)

Well I see this is a Vista Support....but this came up in a google search...
I have the same problems just the way all of you describe it, but Im using
Windows XP. Its not bittorrent apps...cause i turned that off and it had no effect. Im using NOD32 antivirus, xp service pk 3.

Why are you guys so set on Spyware and Antivirus programs? Its a problem with Microsoft's services. It happens with IE and Firfox. Anyone notice that if you leave it alone and don't reboot. Sometimes It will start working again.
I have a Dell 1521 and this has been happening right out of the box. With nothing installed but what came with it. I use both, Wireless and Hardwire. Believe it or not but this problem happens more when Im hard wired then wireless.

And this is Vista Home Prem.

I have this same problem. I have a new dell vista and have had this from the beginning. I have changed used three different virus programs...currently it's Avast....Also different spyware programs currently ist spybot. I had this happen with each of them. I don't think either is causing it.

I read somewhere it could be the OmniPage I use for my cannon scanner. I need the program so I can't uninstall it.

Every time I close an internet window even one that is functioning for me I get the pop up that says IE has stopped working.

I am also having the same trouble with Firefox.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I've tried this hotfix, but it apparently does not apply to my system (so says the message when I try to install).

I'm on a Dell XPS 630, with Vista Home Premium. Both Firefox and IE eventually slow down and become unable to connect to any website. Any external programs that connect to the Net function fine. Other programs tend to hang after this happens when I try to open them, and I'm normally unable to end task both browsers (also reaching the shutdown/restart screen can take anywhere from a few moments to a full half hour).

The period of time before the slowdown and inablity to connect starts to occur can vary from five minutes to a few hours.

I'm pretty convinced it's Vista as it happened without any thirdparty firewall or anti-virus programs running the first time around.

I'd really hope that Microsoft will address this highly inconvient bug.

It's not a vista problem but a microsoft problem. I've got XP Pro and it started happening to me 3 days ago. It is a real pain! It's with all browsers, IE, FF, Opera and netscape. I gather from the posts so far theat we are looking at a hardware config problem on the machine itself as it's very unlikly we all have the same hubs/switches/routers attached.

Hope someone comes up with a solution to this soon as it's doing my nut in!

Paul

OK, this is happening to me too.

I've been running Vista Home Premium on my HP dv9000 for over a year now, but this only started to happen the other day.

I wonder if M$ is updating things in the background...

I agree it seems to happen more when hardwired than when on wireless. just started hunting for solutions, hope someone can find a way to get things working again.

Just a quick update (which I hope isn't premature). I changed my network setting to use static IP addressing and a static DNS. Its working right now. Will let everyone know if it holds.

Though I realize my problem may be a bit different as I am able to access local (192.168.1.x) webpages such as my router configuration and the web-based gui control for my bittorrent downloading machine.

Back