Windows 7 BSoD and no more booting my pc

hapsap

Hi,
I have this little problem. When I started my computer yesterday it was awfully slow for some reason, but when I wanted to play a game it gave me the blue screen. This said that is was dumping the physical memory. When it was done my computer shut down by itself and tried to reboot, but nothing happenend when it was rebooting. I could hear my fans working and my HD working also for a short time, but my screen didnt do anything at all. Normally when I boot my pc I hear some distinctive beeps, they were gone also.
Now, I've read trough all the possible problems and fixes but none seem to describe mine.

What I've done is I unplugged all my cables and my HD. Replugged my powercable and gave my computer a boot without anything except the powercable. When I did the beeps were back, then I shut down my pc and plugged my screen and keyboad/mouse back in.
Then I booted my pc again, I saw the bios flash screen and was able to get in my boot menu by spamming F8. The HD was still detached.
I shut down my pc again, plugged in my HD, spammed F8, chose my HD and it would start again. I chose to start it in safe mode to restore my back-up. Then while I was working my way to the restore page it froze on me again. (without the BSoD)

Now it wont do anything at all, it only starts my fans and thats it. Even when I repeat the same as stated above. Even when I pop in the restore disc I got with my PC. it just stays black =(

So guys, is my HD broken, my motherboard or my RAM?
I cant figure it out, can you help me or do you have suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hello welcome to the windows7forums,

Open the case and take out the battery, wait a couple minutes, then replace it.

Also change the jumper of the board for the CMOS, then return it to it's original position.

If your hard drive is not making a clicking noise, I'd say you're alright there.

What is CMOS and where can I find it?
I removed the battery and replaced it but with no luck :(
still nothing happens when I start it.

Did I mention to unpiug the computer's power cord first

It should be fairly close to the battery.
There are not many jumpers at all on the board.

Look for a jumper that has one pin inserted and the other pin exposed. Switch the order, turn on your computer, shut it down, now place the jumper back on the original pin it was on.

This should reset the BIOS

Get into the BIOS and check and make sure the hard drive is second in the list to start from (CD-ROM first)

So it go through the post to the black screen?

Is there a cursor on the black screen?

If so, Tap ALT-CTL-DEL to bring up Task Manager, choose New > Task, and type in explorer.exe.

If your mouse and cursor don't light up, you're not even getting past the POST.

Very series.

I would open up the case again and make sure every connection is tightly inserted and plugged in correctly.

Well thats the thing, I've triple checked all the cables. I even disconnectes them all and reconnected them. Been staring at an open case for a long time now :p

I dont have another pc at hand sadly. But I disconnected my dvd-player and started my pc again. No bleeps but I did hear my HD starting to read. So did this rule my HD out or do I really need another pc?

I don't have an answer for you but I can say it is not HD. My HD every now and then sounds as if it is a freight train. There may be a long shot that your HD is bad but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Let's go back a ways.

How old is this computer?

Was it purchased from a manufacturer? Is it under warranty?

Did this problem occur immediately after installing Windows 7?

How are you connecting to the Internet now?

Did you purchase Windows 7 or are you using the RTM version?

Have you tried popping in the installation disk, restarting your computer and run setup again?

Was this a 'clean' install or an upgrade?

Let's go back a ways.

How old is this computer?

Was it purchased from a manufacturer? Is it under warranty?

Did this problem occur immediately after installing Windows 7?

How are you connecting to the Internet now?

Did you purchase Windows 7 or are you using the RTM version?

Have you tried popping in the installation disk, restarting your computer and run setup again?

Was this a 'clean' install or an upgrade?

The computer is a little over 2 year old. The warrenty has expired.
I am connecting to the internet via my Iphone and computer @ work.
If I insert a (bootable) disc nothing happens, I can hear it reading it but my screen stays blank.
I did an upgrade no a clean install. From vista to windows 7

I still say it's the M/B that's pooched. It is not posting. If the M/B is gone, screen will never be anything but, black. HDD may spin but, if the M/B is shot...

If it's beyond what you can do yourself, take it to a tech or shop & try another board on it before actually swapping.

Drew

Just for the record what is M/B? I have never heard of it.

When you start your computer,do you get a screen for boot options?

I might suggest you buy another hard drive.

I always run two hard drives in all my computers as I keep my music.Pictures,Videos, and backups on the second drive.

Take out the old drive and replace it with the new drive. Try the install at this point. If it works add the old drive back in so you can access your files.

Less costly than and new motherboard and they are a pain in the ass to install.

You have to strip down the computer to bare bones, disconnecting all devices and cables.

Thats the thing. I get nothing. no cursor, no menu's no nothing.

I might just buy another HDD. The only problem is, I bought one of these prefab machines (too lazy to build one myself) so there is no room for a second HDD...
Thank god I made a back-up on a external HDD. So I think I'll buy a new HDD and use that one as my primary if it works.

But first I'm going to take my current HDD to a friends house and see if his pc recognizes it

The last time that happened to me it was the video card that was not working. An old spare one fitted saw it all working again. However if the mouse and the keyboard aere not lighting up it is probably somethinf else.
I presume that when you checked tha cables you checked the internal and the external ones. especially the power plugs.
If you have more than one ram module take them out and try them one at a time or beg or borrow a ram module and try that. If it is not the RAM I would think something wrong with the power supply. You could check the voltages with a multimeter.

Back