Windows 10 BSOD Problem Accelerating

Cryswar

So for a while my computer would occasionally BSOD if I left it alone for too long (20-30 minutes), but inconsistently enough that it wasn't really an issue since I usually put it in sleep mode when I go somewhere anyways.

Over the last week it's started doing it a lot more though, and starting yesterday it fails to actually start up the first few times - the loading process takes much longer than normal and once it reaches desktop it usually BSOD's a few times before finally getting going. I tried most of the simpler stuff Google and a simple search of this forum suggested, reinstalling drivers, chkdisc, that stuff, but none of it seemed to have any effect so I figure I might as well suck it up and ask for help from people smarter than me.

Reliability monitor has been pretty much friggin' worthless before the last week, every single one of the critical errors were just "windows did not properly shut down" and have been since the BSODs started, but in the last few days a new one has popped up a few times, not sure if it's any help (and it may be in the attached crash logs as well - sorry if redundant info) but I'll include it just in case.

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffe001eaf3a010
Parameter 2: fffff8019dacce48
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 12a4
OS version: 10_0_10586
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys
Parameter 4 varies randomly (12a4, 16d0, 1d8 chronologically) but the other fields stay the same across all three of those events.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can deal with getting new RAM/HDD/whatever but not a new computer haha.

Attachments

• W7F_16-06-2016.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 413
Hi Cryswar,
I took a look at the files you provided and unfortunately you don't seem to have any dump files.
snip..JPG

Dump files contain a record of the bsod. Just check your settings are like this:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

If you had to change settings then you'll need to bsod again before seeing a dump file. As soon as you get one please post it up.. :)

Hi Cryswar,
I took a look at the files you provided and unfortunately you don't seem to have any dump files.
View attachment 32848
Dump files contain a record of the bsod. Just check your settings are like this:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

If you had to change settings then you'll need to bsod again before seeing a dump file. As soon as you get one please post it up.. :)
I already did that (months ago, back when the issues started) and it's crashed many times since doing so, including about a dozen times in the last week. That's much of why I'm so stymied - the computer just... doesn't seem to be storing much/any data about WHY it's crashing. Not there or in reliability monitor or anywhere.

I did just doublecheck the sysdm to be sure - still on 256kb dump in %SystemRoot%\Minidump exactly as the topic says. Also doublechecked paging file - 1344mb allocated, well above the 200 the topic suggests, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Is there any other info I can provide? Is 'not saving dumps' a sign of something specific being at fault, ex. HDD failure or something? I included a screenshot of the settings as they have been since January, just in case.

settings.jpg

Hi Cryswar,
sometimes HD issues can affect the creation of dump files. Please run a chkdsk making sure that whichever method you use, searches for and repairs broken sectors:
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

Dump files are stored in a folder marked Minidump. You can find this folder in the main Windows folder, just check nothing is actually in there please.

Doublechecked the minidump folder (for me, C:\Windows\Minidump) - it's empty. To be sure, I let the computer BSOD again and it remained empty. Ran the diagnostic tool, had it check only minidump files, and the folder it created was empty as well. I'm not seeing any errors that would suggest lack of read or write permissions - I can view it fine, create random folders in it, etc. It's just empty.

Ran the chkdsk using the GUI instructions of the link you sent - took about 10 min, didn't find anything, crashed as soon as computer booted to desktop. After restarting "windows.exe" stopped working for a while until it rebooted again. Haha. Haven't seen THAT one before. None of that generated anything in the minidump folder, it's still empty, and reliability monitor only recorded one unexpected shutdown in that timeframe with no further info.

Running the chkdsk again via command line interface finally got somewhere - it froze at 10%, flashed an error message, and crashed the computer. After a few repetitions I managed to see that it had apparently caught on a folder that didn't exist or something, the message doesn't stay up for long and happens only after ~10-15 minutes of sitting at 10% so it's hard to see it exactly when it happens.

Sorry for the lack of specifics - I realize that may not be very helpful.

If the info helps at all, I've run chkdsks and sfc scannow before to deal with potential issues, and reinstalled windows normally as well as formatting the drive and reinstalling windows fresh before.

No worries Cryswar as all information is helpful..

Ok well it doesn't sound like your HDD is too healthy judging from what you say above.

Try running Seatools. Although made by Seagate it works on almost any drive:
SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

Can you post some details on the actual drive? Age, make and model should do , thanks. :)

I suspected it was either HDD or RAM, since problems seemed to stick around through all the 'normal' fixes, but frankly I was hoping it was something easier (and cheaper) to fix haha.

HDD is a "Seagate model ST3750528AS", I'm not sure what the age is exactly but I've had the computer for about three years I believe.

Seatools seems to have about the same issue as chkdsk - shortly after starting a fixall->long scan, it crashes the computer. Which is VERY interesting, because previously the one constant was that as long as I was actively using the computer, it wouldn't BSOD, that only happened when I let it be for a few minutes - could game for 8 hours straight and have 0 issues, no crashing.

Tried to run the Seatools scan twice - both times crashed the computer. As usual, nothing showed up in minidump. I'm guessing that's... not a good sign.

Tried to run the Seatools scan twice - both times crashed the computer. As usual, nothing showed up in minidump. I'm guessing that's... not a good sign.
Not really no...
Hmm.. Ok try this. Download an application called Speedfan:
SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

This app is actually for setting fan speeds but you can see from my screenshot that you can also access smart data as as get an online report about the drive:
speedfan.jpg

See if this will give you an idea on the HDD's health.

The dropdown list of HDDs is empty for me. Assuming the circular errors on the right are a refresh button, I hit it a few times and got nothing.

As an aside, how bad is it that most of the temps measured seem to be higher than they should? I got this computer prebuilt a few years ago so I'm not super familiar with the construction, but those fire icons don't look like a good thing to me.

sf1.png
sf2.png

As an aside, how bad is it that most of the temps measured seem to be higher than they should? I got this computer prebuilt a few years ago so I'm not super familiar with the construction, but those fire icons don't look like a good thing to me.
The only reason the flames are there is because it set to do that once it reaches a certain temp. This 'threshold' can be changed to suit your hardware so as long as those temps aren't currently up in the 90's I wouldn't worry so. :) (temp 2 looks a tad warm but still nothing really bad)

I'm a little puzzled as to why you don't see any HDD's in the drop down list.. Can you try again but this time run speedfan as admin.

Failing that what are your chipset drivers, SATA drivers and connections like?

Go through your connections and make sure that everything is as it should be.

If you can post the make and model of your motherboard we can post links for the drivers.

Your Hard drive may be failing although a few more tests may confirm this or not.

Thanks for the clarification on the temperatures! Less to panic about now haha.

Ran Speedfan as admin - still no HDDs in list.

According to Speedfan, chipset is ATI SBx00. I tried downloading CPU-Z and it claims the chipset is AMD 785G, rev. 00. The "Southbridge" is also AMD, SB700. I have no idea what any of that means. I don't know how to check SATA drivers/connections at all, sorry.

Motherboard manufacturer is FOXCONN; the model appears to be "ALOE" according to CPU-Z.

@kemical: Just sticking my nose in here; but on OP's Post #9 with Speedfan specs; did you notice the +/- 12v rails?? The +12v voltage is showing +8.58v; and the -12v voltage is showing -5.94v. If those voltages are accurate, the PSU has a serious problem and is not supplying correct voltage to Mobo and other components including the HDD. Maybe ask the OP to download and run SPECCY to cross-check?
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Motherboard manufacturer is FOXCONN; the model appears to be "ALOE" according to CPU-Z.
Foxconn? How old is this system again?

Is it an HP system?

As well as BBJ's mentioning of the voltage oddity, not to mention the fan speed doing 17,000 rev's, there has been a number of things which indicate something is very wrong here.
Just check on the voltage please, can you post a screenshot of this app displaying voltages: HWiNFO64 (this app is considered the best by overclockers and gamers as it's very accurate). The section you need to display is between the two arrows.:
voltages.jpg

Can you see any drives in the Bios?

To enter the bios press either the delete key or F2 or F10 to enter system bios. In fact it usually tells you how to gain access to the bios on the systems flash page or the first screen that appears when booting up.
It sometimes takes a couple of goes but if it's still not playing ball then just check with google your pressing the right key.

Once in the bios look under storage and see if the drives are visible.

I'm just about to fit a new SSD myself so will be back in an hour or so..:)

Took me a while to look through emails to find the invoice - turns out I got it refurbed in 2010, little longer than I realized sorry. It is indeed a HP system. Bios says last bios revision was in late 2009 if that's relevant to when it was actually first made, but otherwise 2010 is the earliest I know. I haven't done much of anything with the insides aside from plugging in a new video card back in 2012 which didn't cause any apparent issues from 2012-late 2015, these issues only really started after I installed windows 10 honestly but have since persisted through reverting back to win7, reinstalling 10, and eventually just formatting the whole thing to install 10 from a clean state.

In bios, there are two drives, the st375 we discussed a bit earlier and "hp DVD ram gh40l", which came on the computer, I think it's where windows was installed. Both show up fine there.

Is it likely my power supply is borked too? I get that having the wrong voltages is bad, but is it outright damaging the computer?

Here's the screenshot as well.

voltage.png

Best of luck on the SSD... even if this is 54 minutes late. Haha. SSDs look interesting but hearing about their relatively short lives and higher costs made me shy away.

Hey,
yeah sorry i've also been rerouting cables and changing the internal layout. I'm almost done, I just need to move a spare HDD cradle and that's it.

In regards to your voltages above, they do look a little more normal although not much is reported by the app. It could well be that speedfan wasn't fully compatible and hence the odd figures. If you pop into the bios you will be able to see what your true voltages are:

Please post back with any results..

Oh, I meant my post was 54 minutes after yours, not anything about your actual return timing. Reading back I can see how it might've looked more demanding - sorry! I can't begin to express how much I appreciate your taking so much time to help out.

Yeah I ended up crashing really hard, just got out of finals and then trying to get computer unborked all night. lol. I ended up crashing and sleeping for like 15 hours shortly after my last post. Will restart and check the Bios thing now.

Well uh as far as I can tell this bios doesn't have that. Took some crappy photos with tablet in case I'm missing something.
IMG_20160618_015603.jpg
IMG_20160618_015620.jpg
IMG_20160618_015632.jpg
IMG_20160618_015641.jpg

Morning Cryswar!

As for your 'demanding post' I knew what you meant lol.. ;)

See if you can boot into safe mode.

If you can try running Seatools again but pick the shorted test this time.

Got into safe mode fine. Seatools doesn't start. No errors, it just doesn't even try to load, whether run normally or as administrator.

Back