Windows 7 Cannot access old XP-disk via Win7

Ekkoe

Hello boards,

Title says it in a nutshell. I had Spyware on my XP and it became inoperable to the point where it wouldn't even boot. I made a partition using Hirens BootCD on which I installed my new Win7, which has been great so far, only problem is my access to my old files is denied. I wouldn't mind enabling them manually if it weren't for the problem that that only works on folders, not on the actual files for some reason. I have no way of restarting my old XP.

Any suggestions? Is there perhaps a program that can unlock them, or perhaps some way that I could grant myself admin status and access them anyway? I have tried the more basic things (going on D:, giving everyone full rights of access) but none worked.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help!

Peter aka Ekkoe

ADDITION: Okay, I just figured out I can check the box for all sub folders and files, which works for the majority, but it still doesn't work on all files. There must be a way to grant me access to all files, right?

Last edited:
Hello boards,

ADDITION: Okay, I just figured out I can check the box for all sub folders and files, which works for the majority, but it still doesn't work on all files. There must be a way to grant me access to all files, right?

I know from XP that sometimes you could go into the properties and Take Ownership of the files that you didn't have Admin rights to. I haven't had Win 7 long enough to look into that, but it would be something to check out.

Elfman

Alright, I have figured out how to become owner for each individual folder the tedious way, but here's the problem, now more concretely:

I CAN arrange to become owner of folders, subfolders and the files they contain, however, I've only just figured out how this works exactly. Before that, I didn't do it this way, instead making me owner of the folder, but not it's subfolders and containing files. Now the subfolders are no problem but the files I cannot claim anymore.

So the question: How do I become owner of a file? It seems the account I'm on has full rights towards the file, but simply cannot access it.

Back