Windows 7 Cant access share on domain please help!

lansa

In my office, I have a win2003 server running a domain. Most our clients are xp pro machines but I recently got a win7 home premium pc and am trying to access a shared folder on the server but no luck. No matter what permissions I've set (share permissions and security permissions), I can not access this one folder on the server from this machine. I realize I am unable to logon to the domain with win7 home but I should be able to access a shared folder right? Can someone please help?

It can be a bit of a pain.
first make sure that your workgroup name for your Win7 machine is the same as the NetBIOS portion of your domain name. If your domain name is MyOfficeDomain.lan, then make the workgroup name for the 7 machine MYOFFICEDOMAIN
Make sure that the user name and password that you are using on the 7 machine is present as a domain user with the same password on the 2k3 DC. And that user has appropriate permissions to the share.
Should work, if you are prompted for credentials make sure you use the domain\username format.
Welcome to the forums
Regards
Randy

Thanks, I am able to access other shares on the server, it is just this one share that wont give me access.

Examine the properties of the problem share, both Share Permissions as well as NTFS security permissions and compare them with a share that you can access.

How do I get the server to prompt me for login credentials when trying to access the folder in question? Maybe that would solve it?

I am thinking since the client is on a pc thats not part of the domain, maybe the username that I created on the server doesnt match the username thats logged into the client? The username on the server is in the form of username@domain, whereas the username on the client is just username.

Last edited:
Since you have not said exactly what is happening when you attempt to access the share nor exactly how you are attempting to access it I can only suggest that perhaps there is a problem with internal name resolution.
So make sure you add your Domain DNS server as the primary DNS server in the properties of IPv4, in the properties of the network adapter on the problem machine and then flush your current DNS cache.
Command prompt
ipconfig /flushdns
additionally you might try accessing the share using the server IP address in the UNC path
\\192.168.1.100\ShareName (whatever the actual IP address of the server is)

I am accessing the share by browsing to it in Windows Explorer. When I click on the share, I get "you are not authorized to view this folder"

I would say that it looks like a username and or password problem on the surface, but since you've already said that you can access other shares on the same server from the same client machine with the same username and password, then it is more likely an explicit permission problem unique to that particular share you'll need to look closely at share and ntfs permissions specific to that share regarding users as well as groups and compare that information to another share that you can access and determine the difference. In the case of nested shares, there may be inheritance being passed down from the parent container impacting your ability to access that share.
The best bet is to look at the share and determine who can access it (share tab as well as security tab) what group has permissions, what specific user (if any) has permissions, what group does that user belong to, does that group have permissions.
With a home version of the OS, you may not be able to resolve this issue with out resorting to desperate measures and sacrificing security for access. (The old everyone group full control seldom if ever a good idea.)
If you are the server administrator and circumstances permit, you may want to add the Everyone group, with full control in both Share and NFTS permissions, just temporarily for testing purposes only. This is contrary to what is considered best practices for network file and folder security, but may help you further diagnose the issue and you can always remove or adjust them after testing. Not a recommendation, just an option.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom