Windows 8 can't boot off usb

Chad Abizeid

I have a 16GB USB 3.0 memory card, Lexar. I've used the MS usb/dvd tool to make it bootable. Downloaded 64bit of the W8 Release CP iso. I set my bios to boot in this priority

USB HDD
USB FDD
HDD

I have a Samsung Series 9 ultrabook, NP900X3B-AO1US

I've used the same MS tool, same USB card to install W8 CP (non-release) back in March/April. Worked just fine on same laptop, not sure why its not working now.

Any ideas?

PS: I also tried my 8GB Corsair USB card too, same problem. Even further, I also tried another software called WinUSB Maker as well.

It may be a typo, but shouldn't your second Priority be the SATA HDD and not USB FDD?

Have you tested the memory card on any other machine? You can install the RP from within the Consumer Preview, it will take longer and leave a Windows.old folder that takes up more room, but it may work.

What exactly does the system do when you attempt to boot from the card? Does it give any messages about booting and hit, as a DVD would do? Do you have a key combination that would present you with the boot device options, like F12?

If everything is working normally, all I could think is the memory card was not cleaned or set up in such a way to allow it to boot. If it were bootable before, you should have just been able to copy the Windows 8 files to it for the install, which you can do by right clicking the .iso file and select Mount. Then just copy the files.

It may be a typo, but shouldn't your second Priority be the SATA HDD and not USB FDD?

Have you tested the memory card on any other machine? You can install the RP from within the Consumer Preview, it will take longer and leave a Windows.old folder that takes up more room, but it may work.

What exactly does the system do when you attempt to boot from the card? Does it give any messages about booting and hit, as a DVD would do? Do you have a key combination that would present you with the boot device options, like F12?

If everything is working normally, all I could think is the memory card was not cleaned or set up in such a way to allow it to boot. If it were bootable before, you should have just been able to copy the Windows 8 files to it for the install, which you can do by right clicking the .iso file and select Mount. Then just copy the files.
That's good idea! Thank so much!

Back
Top Bottom