Windows Vista Can't connect to wireless network after installing Visual Studio??

smwoodruff0908

I just installed a new hard drive, and installed Vista on it, as well as all of the drivers for my hardware. Everything was working fine until I installed the Visual Studio (more specifically Visual C#, and Visual C++). My wireless card still seems to be working fine, but it keeps giving me random error messages when I try to connect to my network. I even uninstalled and reinstalled my wireless driver, but it didn't help at all. This also happened on my old hard drive after I installed Visual Studio, but I thought it was a virus of some kind, and wound up erasing the disk since I was installing a new one anyways. I even uninstalled VS, and it still persists.

Can anyone help me out on this? I have no idea where to start, or what to do. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Have you tried resetting the device? There should a little pin hole at the back which inside has a button that needs depressing for about 10 seconds.
I'd also check to see if there are any 'firmware' updates for the device..

I shut everything down and restarted it. I don't think it's anything to do with my wireless router, as my laptop has never had any probelms with it, and my desktop never had any problems either, until I installed VS. It's happened twice now to my desktop, and both times were after installing VS. Should I try resetting it anyways, and redo all the settings on it? Also, where could I find whether there's new firmware for it? It's a 2WIRE 1800HG if that makes a difference. Thanks again.

Yup, try resetting it anyways and as for firmware, check the makers website or you may have an option in your start menu to access some type of 'router manager' (basically software that came with the set-up disk that allows you to access the router and make changes. This would have been installed when you set up your internet connection) Mine has this option but obviously routers vary a great deal and you may have something similar or not at all...

Sorry if this is a little 'garbled' as I'm in a rush... I'll be checking in later so please post if the above is no help..

Ok, when I went to turn my computer on today, it actually connected to the network by itself. I wanted to see if downloading Visual Studio from the internet would give me the same problems I had (in case there was something wrong with the installation disc I burned). So I intsalled VS again, and lo-and-behold when I restarted the comp to finish the installation I can't connect to the network again :mad: Then I tried resetting the router back to it's original state, and looked for firmware, but couldn't find anything anywhere.

Hmm....sorry to hear your still getting problems.. What about the driver for your network card? Is it the latest version?
Also could you list the makers name so I can do some searching via google..
Thanks.. :)

When I reinstalled my wireless card, I clicked on "Update Driver" and it said it was the latest one available. It's the driver that comes on an installation disc that comes with the card, and the card is only a couple months old at most now.

I'm not positive which model it is since I'm not at that computer right now, but I know it was a Linksys wireless model, with 2 antennae on the back of it. I'll double-check when I get home, and get you more info about it, but if you can find anything in the meantime, that would be great! :D Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom