Windows 8 Can't find Homegroup password?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I thought I could speed things up if I added the computer I'm on to a home group so I could transfer things directly.

But it keep asking for my homegroup password, well I never did this before, it says I do have a home group, but I know I never created a password for it.

I looked online for a way to find out what it was and it was pretty simple, click settings, select homegroup and you can see your password and ask to have it printed, but not on my computer, where you are supposed to see your password I have a box that says enter a password.

So I try and put one in, maybe I never entered one, and that's the problem, but when I do it says Password is incorrect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

On the host computer, say PC1, (the other PC that you want to join the Homegroup with), go to Control Panel >>> Homegroup. If you have an existing homegroup, there is an option there to "View/Print Homegroup Password". Enter that password to the PC2. If not you will see a "Create Homegroup"

215509_homegroup-view-password.png

Hi

When I do that this is what I get...

Homegroup_zps16ad02bc.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on, as I said I don't really even remember setting up a homegroup but as you can see it says I have one.

Mike

That means the computer named MICHAELW8 is the host PC and you need to go to the control panel of that MICHAELW8 PC and click Homegroup to view the password. Then go back to this computer where you capture this screenshot and click "join now" and enter the password you got from MICHAELW8 PC.

You should be able to view the password on both PC's....I can anyway. For me, I open the "network and sharing" center, then over to the right side where is says internet access, I click on "joined" which will bring up another window. Or click on the HomeGroup link, under say also at bottom left. Then under other homegroup actions I click on view or print network password.

Hi

When I do that this is what I get...

I'm not sure what's going on, as I said I don't really even remember setting up a homegroup but as you can see it says I have one.

Mike

Click join...and then go through the process again.

Hi

I think I may have figured it out, but I haven't been able to prove it yet.

I think that the Home Network may be run from our iPad, by accident and that's why I can't access it from either of our PCs.

Like I said I don't remember ever setting it up, but I'll also check our laptop again.

I haven't had time to check the iPad and see if I can find it on there.
When I get this done I'll try and track it down.

I tried Bassfishers suggested but mine says Available to Join, not Joined so I guess that's why I can't see it and he can. If you are on it then it will probably show it to you.

But if I'm ever going to use it I'm going to have to figure out what the password is.

Can I create a new Network independent of the original one, from my computer?

Mike

Last edited:
I have never used Homegroups either, but it looks like the 8.1 RTM install set one up.

For Bassfisher6522, this is a quote from the joining process.

A password helps prevent unauthorized access to homegroup files and printers. You can get the password from User on Computer Name or another member of the homegroup.
I, of course, altered the User Name and Computer Name designations...

iPads should have nothing to do with Homegroups......

Attachments

• HomePass.JPG
    HomePass.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:
To join a homegroup, one of your PCs on your network should act as a host. And this host owns the password. And you will use this password if you want other computers to join the network. It is simply connecting PCs together so you can access files on each PCs. You are halfway there. MICHAELW8 PC is your host. Connect the other PCs to this host by clicking "join now" and use the password from host PC.

I guess the problem is figuring out which computer is the host.
I'll look at our laptop again but most things are done on my PC, so I don't know how it could be the host.

I'll look at it as soon as I get done setting up my friends moms computer.

Mike

Ok, I found it, it was on the Laptop.
I don't know when it got set up, but the password was there.

It was different since it's Windows 7 on the laptop.
I had a hard time finding the Home Network thing, there was no reference in control panel but I found it when I went to create a homegroup.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Last edited:
The PC named MichaeW8 is the host. Unless someone else got into your network.

But its not a problem. You can create a new host and password on any pc on your nertwork anytime as many times as you want. You just need to leave a homegroup and start all over again. Actually the password is automatically generated once you create a homegroup on any pc on your home network.

Last edited:
Hi

It actually worked I was able to share with the laptop.
I'll hook in the computer I'm setting up tomorrow, that will save a lot of time running back and forth with the USB stick.

After I'm done I'll change the password, or can I remove sharing on the new computer when I'm done?
I didn't look at that.

Mike

just disconnect the other PC from the host by clicking "Leave Homegroup".

That was going to be my next suggestion...just start from scratch. ON all PC's and tablets....leave the homegroup....then use the desktop as the host PC for creating a new homegroup and then add the rest of the PC's to the newly created homegroup.

Back