Windows 10 Can't Open Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

leosantare

Hello,

I have a very important application that I would like to use on my new Windows 10 desktop. I have already reached out to Microsoft for support and they performed a remote session with no luck. They told me that the application needs to be updated to use on Windows 10 and to contact the developer. Which I did, and confirmed they will not being releasing an update for the application. I plan to contact Microsoft again for one more try and wanted to reach out here also. I really would like to use this application on my new Windows 10 desktop. However, my new desktop is not really compatible with Windows 7. I say this because it would involve a lot of skilled effort to obtain the correct drivers for my new desktop to even be compatible with Windows 7. Plus, I have to run Windows 10, or most current version on my new desktop since it will be online and continuing developer support. Not to mention, I don't seem to like the idea of a dual boot or virtual machine anyway. If I can't get the application to run in Windows 10, it looks like I will be purchasing a Windows 7 compatible laptop to run this application. It also looks like it will cost me about $1500 for a laptop and wanted to give it one more try before making a purchase. Note, I would be using this laptop specifically for this application and will remain offline. Just in case someone would try to say it's unsafe to use a Windows 7 OS.

Name of the application is Elgar 2.6 developed by Klark Teknik in 2006? The only requirement the application really needed was Net Framework 1.1. Put it this way, every time I would go to install the application in Windows 7, I would install Net Framework 1.1 and then Elgar 2.6. After that, the application runs great in Windows 7. Now with Windows 10, I am able to successfully install both Net Framework 1.1 and Elgar 2.6 just like in Windows 7. However, when I go to open the application in Windows 10, I get the following error. If anyone has an ideas, please let me know. It would be great to have a few people chime in and thanks.

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 187
The error tells you to enable the Performance Counters by editing the registry.
You can do that (at your own risk) by launching regedit (Menu>Windows System>Run and type in "regedit" without quote marks) and then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfProc\Performance and change the value to enabled.

What is your laptop model?

When you say, I can do this at my own risk, what exactly do you mean? Are you implying that by enabling the performance counters may cause issues and is not recommended? Or, were you simply saying that in case I were to navigate to the wrong path and change something else by mistake?

I don't have a laptop yet, but I'm getting ready to purchase one if I can't get this application to run in Windows 10. Although, I would be purchasing a 6th generation laptop to ensure compatibility with Windows 7.

If the application still does not open after I change the value to enabled, is it safe to say that It's simply not possible to get this application to run in Windows 10? Or, is there something else you have in mind?

When you say, I can do this at my own risk, what exactly do you mean? Are you implying that by enabling the performance counters may cause issues and is not recommended? Or, were you simply saying that in case I were to navigate to the wrong path and change something else by mistake?

There is always a risk when modifying the registry.
I don't know how enabling the performance counters will affect the system.

I don't have a laptop yet, but I'm getting ready to purchase one if I can't get this application to run in Windows 10. Although, I would be purchasing a 6th generation laptop to ensure compatibility with Windows 7.

If the application still does not open after I change the value to enabled, is it safe to say that It's simply not possible to get this application to run in Windows 10? Or, is there something else you have in mind?

I think maybe there are drivers for Windows 7 made by Microsoft not by the manufacturer of your laptop and that you should give it a try in virtual machine.

For example I have installed Windows 10 on a Toshiba laptop and there were no drivers provided by the manufacturer but there were drivers provided by Microsoft. The only problem is the screen resolution, everything else works well.

When you say, that you think there may be drivers for Windows 7 available from Microsoft, for my laptop, what do you mean? I don't own a laptop yet. Again, I don't really like the idea of turning my new desktop into a Windows 7 and Windows 10 virtual machine. I would rather only have one OS on my new desktop. If I simply can't get the application to run on my Windows 10, (online) desktop, I would rather use a separate Windows 7, (offline) laptop.

I will try making that change in the registry, but before I do so i need to ask a question. Will a complete format and reinstallation of Windows 10 put all registry values back to there default settings, or will they remain the same?

.Net 1.1 can't be installed on Windows 10, but .Net 3.5 includes .Net 2.0 which is compatible with .Net 1.1 applications

If you have the installer just zip it and send it to me or stick it on google drive or some file sharing site

Yes, I am ask how do I send it to you? Do I need your email address? I can't figure out how to message you in this forum.

Also, the Microsoft tech and I both tried changing the Windows Feature Settings. Exclusively, the Net Framework 3.5 and the Net Framework 4.7 check boxes. The screen shot below shows the current settings, please let me know if that is where they should be.

Attachments

• Feature Options.jpg
    Feature Options.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 160
I tried to install Net Framework 3.5 from the link below, but nothing happens. Do I also need to install Windows install 3.1 first in order to install Net Framework 3.5? If so, why and what exactly is Windows Installer 3.1?

Last, I will need to know before making and registry changes. Will a complete format and reinstallation of Windows 10 put all registry values back to there default settings, or will they remain the same?

Here is a screen shot of the registry editor. Exactly, which file should I change the value in? I believe the Microsoft tech change the value in the(Default) file to 1 from 0.

Attachments

• Registry.jpg
    Registry.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 140
Also, the Microsoft tech and I both tried changing the Windows Feature Settings. Exclusively, the Net Framework 3.5 and the Net Framework 4.7 check boxes. The screen shot below shows the current settings, please let me know if that is where they should be.

Attachments
  • Feature Options.jpg

I tried to install Net Framework 3.5 from the link below, but nothing happens. Do I also need to install Windows install 3.1 first in order to install Net Framework 3.5? If so, why and what exactly is Windows Installer 3.1?

Download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Last, I will need to know before making and registry changes. Will a complete format and reinstallation of Windows 10 put all registry values back to there default settings, or will they remain the same?

Here is a screen shot of the registry editor. Exactly, which file should I change the value in? I believe the Microsoft tech change the value in the(Default) file to 1 from 0.

Attachments
  • Registry.jpg

No. I have already explained the issue. I provided a screenshot of the error at the beginning of this thread. You need to install Net Framework 1.1 first and then you will get the error message. Please answer the questions I have asked.

You don't need .Net 1.1. All you need is the following reg key added then it will install just fine on Windows 10

Attachments

• FakeDotNet1.1.reg.zip
    327 bytes · Views: 127
Are you available to work on this now? Please understand that I am still currently using my old desktop to finish a project before I begin to use my new desktop. It's a hassle for me to switch desktops so let me know when you are able to go over this together and I will plan accordingly. Right now I have my new windows 10 desktop hooked up and will wait a few minutes for you. If not, I'm switching back to my old windows 7 desktop and we will have to arrange another time. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom