Windows 10 Can't Open Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to reset the registry without formatting and reinstalling Windows 10? I ask because the Microsoft tech changed some things in the registry and want the registry to default settings before I make any changes.

Hello? This auto registry change does not work. I still get the same error. Please provide me the manually steps for this registry change.

Hey, I will try and contact you during the week. As of now this application does not run on my windows 10 desktop with your provided reg file. Plus, I would be looking for the manual change anyway. Please try and be more detailed in your replies and stop dismissing most of my questions. This makes me have to repeat myself over and over without your acknowledgement. As you know messages can be very unclear and misinterpreted, that why I try and be very slow and clear with mine. Thanks for your help and I will try and keep my questions to a minimum.

It seems like there might be a way to make this application work in Windows 10 by modifying the registry. If anyone happens to know, please provide me the manual change for the registry. Also, is there a way to change everything in the registry back to default other that formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 10?

Thanks,

There would be no difference between using the reg file and creating it manually. Creating it manually involves opening regedit navigate to the key I mentioned before and right clicking and adding the key. To your other question no there is no way to reset the registry without re-installing Windows.

Thanks for getting back to me. There are two reasons why I want to make the change manually,

#1) It would be the only way for me to know for sure what is being changed. For example, a reg file will update the entire registry and I would have no idea what else could be changed from default.

#2) This way, I can write everything down and keep it in a safe place since I will need to make this change again in the future. Where as, if I back up a reg file, I could lose it if my external hard drive fails.

I was reading somewhere that by using the "reset this PC" option in Windows 10, will restore the entire registry back to defaults. Are you saying this is incorrect and the only way to restore the registry back to default is by formatting and re installing Windows 10? (Screen shot below.)

Attachments

• Reset.jpg
    Reset.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 139
So to make the change manually, I will need to navigate here, correct?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v1.1

When I get there, what exactly do I need to change? (Screen shot below)

There are two files to select,
#1 (Default)
#2 4322

Attachments

• Registry.jpg
    Registry.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 123
Last, if you can please get back to me on what I was trying to ask you the other day,

The Microsoft tech and I both tried changing some of the Windows Feature Settings. Exclusively, the Net Framework 3.5 and the Net Framework 4.7 check boxes. The screen shot below shows the current settings, please let me know if that is how they should be and if they are default.

Thanks again,

Attachments
  • Feature Options.jpg

The reg file simply adds the v1.1 key (keys look like folders). For the .Net framework you don't need either Windows Communication component. A black box next to .NET Framework 3.5 means it's installed. A check mark means all components in that branch are installed

I'm trying my best to follow you and understand what you are saying, but I still don't understand how to make the change manually. If you could, please provide me the steps, one at a time to make the change. Thank you,

I'm trying my best to follow you and understand what you are saying, but I still don't understand how to make the change manually. If you could, please provide me the steps, one at a time to make the change. Thank you,
He literally gave you the manual way to create the registry key on the first page of this enormous thread and even gave you the .reg file to add the key.

Literally in that file is the instruction for the registry editor to add
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v1.1

He also installed the application after making these changes and was able to run the application successfully.

Thats it. If it still doesnt work, you may have other issues with the operating system or application that cannot be reproduced on another Windows 10 system other than your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back