Windows 7 Can't pick high resolution

Soviet

After switching to Windows 7, I can't choose native resolution for my display (1920x1200). The higher I can get is 1600x1200. I can't set custom resolution on any window - well, I can click on that options, but then i just can't apply any custom settings. I tried all control panels I could find - nothing work. I can choose 1920x1200 in "custom resolution" panel, but when I try to "Apply" - that nothing happens. It's really pain in the below, to watch 1600x1200 on 1920x1200 monitor, so I hope you can help me.

I have
GPU: Gainward GTX260
Monitor: Gateway FPD2485W

So far i discovered that this is propably not a Graphic Cars problem, but an issue with EDID and Windows 7. Everything was great on Windows XP.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Could you give us the exact make and model of your video card?

Also, have you looked for a newer .inf file for your Gateway FPD2485W monitor? Go directly to Gateway for this.

Done that. I tried both NVidia and Gainward drivers, in case of any differences. Didn't worked.

And I have 64bit Windows 7.

I suggest you download and run driver sweeper,then give the driver install another try.
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

Do you receive an error message?

Are there any yellow flags under any entries in Device Manager?

What's listed under Display adapters?

We have one or two posts like this one and I'm pretty sure the cure has been driver related.
This site has all the recent driver releases so it might be worth trying one or two..

download from Guru3D.com

Do your graphic options allow you to enable modes that are not supported.

I've done this before on my Windows 2003 server and it worked.

I suggest you download and run driver sweeper,then give the driver install another try. Guru3D - Driver Sweeper
Still nothing.

Do you receive an error message?
Nope.

Are there any yellow flags under any entries in Device Manager?
Nope.

What's listed under Display adapters?
"Generic Non-PnP Monitor"

kemical said:
We have one or two posts like this one and I'm pretty sure the cure has been driver related. This site has all the recent driver releases so it might be worth trying one or two.
Tried 195.62 from NVidia site, 195.62 from Gainward site and 195.81 beta from site you provided. Still nothing.

reghakr said:
Do your graphic options allow you to enable modes that are not supported.
Yes. I can create them and choose them from list, but can't apply. When I do that - nothing happens - I still have 1600x1200.

Also, I don't think it's driver realted. I found this: Link Removed - Invalid URL. And this guy have the same problem. Well, maybe there is some differences - PowerStrip didn't help in my case. But, after switching from XP to 7, my monitor also "lost" his EDID.

Last edited:
After switching to Windows 7, I can't choose native resolution for my display (1920x1200). The higher I can get is 1600x1200. I can't set custom resolution on any window - well, I can click on that options, but then i just can't apply any custom settings. I tried all control panels I could find - nothing work. I can choose 1920x1200 in "custom resolution" panel, but when I try to "Apply" - that nothing happens. It's really pain in the below, to watch 1600x1200 on 1920x1200 monitor, so I hope you can help me.

I have
GPU: Gainward GTX260
Monitor: Gateway FPD2485W

So far i discovered that this is propably not a Graphic Cars problem, but an issue with EDID and Windows 7. Everything was great on Windows XP.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Do you have display driver installed for your Gateway FPD2485W ? Maybe you have Vista or XP drivers on support CD, maybe try installing them in compatibility mode. I'd never point to this but I personally had to install my monitor driver to have all resolutions displayed right.

A good idea is to download the latest drivers for your GTX and for the monitor (if they are available), uninstall your current video and monitor drivers completely, and then install the downloaded latest drivers. All should work. You can try update your monitor automatically from the Device Manager.

Also, check if the resolution frequencies are right (1920 x 1200 60 Hz).

(http://support.gateway.com/s/MONITOR/7005576R/7005576Rcp.shtml)
(NVIDIA DRIVERS 195.62 WHQL)
(NVIDIA DRIVERS 195.62 WHQL)

I feel it's a video card problem that's causing the blue screen error

I see you have an Nvidia card.

Try this, download the latest driver from Nvidia's site, then get Universal Extractor

On install only check the top box. It will create a UniExtractFiles on the right-click context menu.

Rather than double-clicking the file, right-click on it and choose UniExtractFils. It will create a directory on the desktop where you should download the latest drive. This will extract the contents of the .exe file, Now go to Device Manager and under Display adapters, choose update driver software, now go back to Device Manager, click on the Nvidia inf file (I believe it's Nv_disp.inf) and choose update driver software.

If that won't extract, I'd suggest the driver Kemical quoted in post #7

Also

1. try changing resolutions from Windows Control Panel > Display
2. configure nvidia/control panel to single monitor

cybercore said:
Do you have display driver installed for your Gateway FPD2485W ? Maybe you have Vista or XP drivers on support CD, maybe try installing them in compatibility mode. I'd never point to this but I personally had to install my monitor driver to have all resolutions displayed right.
There are no drivers for Gateway FPD2485W. From readme: "The correct driver for Gateway monitors is the Generic Plug and Play driver." (The different question is why Windows 7 see my monitor as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor).

cybercore said:
A good idea is to download the latest drivers for your GTX and for the monitor (if they are available), uninstall your current video and monitor drivers completely, and then install the downloaded latest drivers. All should work. You can try update your monitor automatically from the Device Manager.
Tried 195.62 from NVidia site, 195.62 from Gainward site and 195.81 beta from site Kemical provided. Still nothing.

reghakr said:
I feel it's a video card problem that's causing the blue screen error
Never said anything about blue screen error :). Never had any.

reghakr said:
Try this, download the latest driver from Nvidia's site, then get Universal Extractor
Same result, as if I was installing drivers "normally". Ergo - didn't worked.

cybercore said:
Try changing resolutions from Windows Control Panel > Display
I do not have my native resolution (1920x1200) on this list. This is the problem we are trying to solve :).

I can create custom resoltuions and choose them from list, but can't apply. When I do that - nothing happens - I still have 1600x1200.

cybercore said:
Configure nvidia/control panel to single monitor
Already done. Didn't worked.

I really appreciate your help, even if we're going nowhere. It's really pain in the a**, to have to sit all day in front of 1920x1200 monitor, with only 1600x1200 :(.

When creating a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel, set 60 Hz.

Gateway FPD2485W has 3D mode which can be on or off, try it off.

Nice call cybercore, I thought there should be an updated monitor .inf file.

I still have and old Gateway and i downloaded the newer .inf files too.

There are a ton of directories, make sure you choose the proper one.

cybercore said:
When creating a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel, set 60 Hz.
I know that. I can't apply any custom resolution higher then 1600x1200, regardles the refresh rate.

cybercore said:
Gateway FPD2485W has 3D mode which can be on or off, try it off.
It don't have 3D mode :eek: Maybe you confused it with 3D sound mode in additional speakers?

reghakr said:
I thought there should be an updated monitor .inf file.
I was looking for different .inf file for my monitor. Found nothing. What directories are you refering to?

Back
Top Bottom