Windows 10 Can’t setup Homegroup on Windows 10

john92210

I’m trying to setup a Homegroup connection between my desktop and laptop computers. Both are Windows 10. The desktop is connected to my router via Ethernet and the laptop uses wireless. The Homegroup on the laptop seems to be working ok. When I click Homegroup in Windows Explorer, it shows the files on the laptop.

Setting up the desktop is not working. When I click Homegroup in Windows Explorer I get the message “No other Homegroup PCs are available right now” (even though the laptop is on and ready). The Homegroup troubleshooter finds nothing. The Network and Sharing Center shows that a Homegroup is “Available to join”. However, when I attempt to join, I get the error “Windows no longer detects a Homegroup on this network. To create a new Homegroup click on the Homegroup Control Panel”. But when I use the Homegroup control panel, it indicates that I have created Homegroup on the network! And the only option is to “Join now”. When I click the “Join now” button, I again get the error “Windows no longer detects a Homegroup on this network ….”. I’m going around in circles.

So the desktop compter has a homegroup already set up but the laptop can't see it?
If so, please turn your both systems on and make sure the desktop is on its homegroup... then open your laptop network screen and take a screenshot of the display.
Screenshot (7).png

eg, mine for ref.
do you have two computers and two media devices? right click one of the media devices and configure your media center (even just turning every thing off will do) then see if you have issues still.

So the desktop compter has a homegroup already set up but the laptop can't see it?
If so, please turn your both systems on and make sure the desktop is on its homegroup... then open your laptop network screen and take a screenshot of the display.
View attachment 31866
eg, mine for ref.
do you have two computers and two media devices? right click one of the media devices and configure your media center (even just turning every thing off will do) then see if you have issues still.

When I open homegroup on the desktop computer I get the error "No other homegroup pCs are available right now". When I open the homegroup on the laptop it displays the files on the laptop only. It does not show any files that are on the desktop computer. See the two images. In the images, Eagle is the desktop computer and Alpha is the laptop computer. I don't know why two media devices are shown for Eagle.

Attachments

• Desktop setup.JPG
    Desktop setup.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 460
  • Laptop setup.JPG
    Laptop setup.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 490
  • is the laptop on a local account?
  • can you log into the desktop and take a screen shot of it's network please i.e, can it see two computers or just the one?
There are two devices for Eagle because one is the public account... don't stress about it.

Back