Windows 10 Computer crashes randomly

hww1955

Could a defective CPU cause my computer to crash randomly? I had a brand new AMD CPU installed by Best Buy a few months back. When I got it home the computer overheated in a few seconds. I took it back and come to find out they had put the water cooler in wrong. The overheating stopped but ... sometimes in a few minutes or other times in a couple of days the computer freezes up, rock hard. I have to do a hardware reset to get it to reboot.

Hi,
it is possible but modern chips usually have a thermal cut off which will shut the machine down if it gets to a certain temperature. One of the classic causes of freezing is overheating so are you totally sure the overheating has been cured?
Use this app to watch the temperatures:
HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download
Use this app to stress the machine:
Performing a stress test is simple:

1. Download the software and unzip the files to your desired location.
  2. Run the Prime95 executable and select "Just Stress Testing" when asked.
  3. The default options are sufficient to do a well balanced stress test on the system.
GIMPS - Free Prime95 software downloads - PrimeNet

Ok so if you haven't checked your temps already use the above to monitor your temps. Run Prime95 for around 20-30mins and see what temps you get. If they are getting above 65c stop the test. AMD chips usually dislike anything above that figure.

I forgot to mention that corruption can also cause freezing so do a quick system file check by right clicking on the start menu icon, from the revealed list choose admin command prmpt. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

I have checked my temps, and they never go above 47 C. Also, I know it is not a heating issue because sometimes the computer freezes up after only a couple of minutes. And sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days. If my purchase of the new cpu didn't coincide with the install of Windows 10 I would think this was a Windows 10 issue.

I see from your other thread that you've clean installed windows 10, has this cured the freezing?

Back
Top Bottom