Windows 7 Computer problem - HELP!

sbudaj

I have Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.

I had a power outage at my house while my computer was on.

After I turned the computer back on, it blue screened a couple of times, but on the 3rd attempt it booted up. However, I noticed that my sound was not working. After trying a few things, checking device manager and reinstalling sound drivers - still no sound, I decided to re-boot once again. This time, it said it was installing some Windows updates. OK. When it re-started, it said it was "Initializing Desktop". Uh-Oh.

When it came up, it was the basic generic desktop with the Windows logo and minimal icons instead of my usual desktop.

I then tried to do a system restore to an earlier date, but got an error message saying that it was unable to complete and no files were changed.

I tried to do another re-boot, but this time, it almost got to the desktop, (meaning I knew it was about to get there based on amount of time of booting), when it re-booted by itself. Now it is in an endless boot loop.

I was able to stop the process with the F8 key at startup and tried to get into Safe Mode. It did the same thing, as it was loading the files, it rebooted in a loop.

Lastly, I was able to get into the Repair Mode (from the F8 menu) and again tried System Restore. I tried several different restore points, but none were able to restore giving me the same error as before that it could not complete and no files were changed.

Now I am not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Steve

Last edited:
In the advance menu screen, when tapping the F8 key, try last known good configuration.

Have you made your recovery disc's? If you have, use those to repair the system.

In the advance menu screen, when tapping the F8 key, try last known good configuration.

Tried the last known configuration. Didn't work.

Have you made your recovery disc's? If you have, use those to repair the system.

Trying to find recovery disc. Not sure I have one. I probably have the original Win 7 installation disc. Will that work?

From your description of the situation, possibly some files were damaged. Not sure exactly what was being done with the updating desktop, but it sounds like your user profile was lost or changed.

I suppose a couple of things I might try is to run a Chkdsk, to see if your drive is OK. Maybe that will repair some corrupted files.

Then try running a System File Check to see if it finds anything (Admin command prompt and type SFC /scannow). If for some reason the SFC will not run, you could try running it from offline.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I don't suppose you had made a system image anytime recently?

From your description of the situation, possibly some files were damaged. Not sure exactly what was being done with the updating desktop, but it sounds like your user profile was lost or changed.

I suppose a couple of things I might try is to run a Chkdsk, to see if your drive is OK. Maybe that will repair some corrupted files.

Then try running a System File Check to see if it finds anything (Admin command prompt and type SFC /scannow). If for some reason the SFC will not run, you could try running it from offline.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I don't suppose you had made a system image anytime recently?

I will try the chkdsk and sfc.

I did not have a system image, unless it is created automatically by Windows. If it was, it did not show up in the repair option to restore from an image. If it is not automatic, it should be! Only restore points showed up but could not restore from them.

Thanks.

Hi

If the previous suggestions don't work then...

Use your Windows DVD and do a repair install.
It will replace all the Windows files but retain you settings and software.

The whole process shouldn't take more then a half hour.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

If you user profile was damaged, then it may come up with a clean desktop and you'll have to create a new profile.

Mike

Hi

If the previous suggestions don't work then...

Use your Windows DVD and do a repair install.
It will replace all the Windows files but retain you settings and software.

The whole process shouldn't take more then a half hour.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

If you user profile was damaged, then it may come up with a clean desktop and you'll have to create a new profile.

Mike

I tried the repair and get the following screen:

The computer started from the Windows installation disc. Remove the installation disc and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then insert the installation disc and restart the upgrade.

If I could start Windows normally I wouldn't have to be doing this.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi

You should be able to run it from the installation disk, that's the way I have always done it.

Here is Microsoft's information on installing and re-installing.
Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

It looks like the options have changed since Service Pack 1, it always gave me the option to do either a Custom Install, which replaces everything or an Upgrade which retains old settings and software right from the DVD.

It would have to work if you do a complete install but then you will have to re-install everything.

Maybe someone else here can input some info about it.

Mike

Back