Windows 7 Connecting router (access point) to LAN port for internet

KingRoach

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I have a laptop with Windows 7, and I take my internet from an outlet in the wall connected to the University Accomodation Network; I assume that's a switch.

The cable is too short and I want to go wireless, so I need to ask this BEFORE I buy any hardware.

I'm willing to buy an ADSL modem which functions as a wireless router and acess point. I think they all do, right?

Okay, my question is, can this hardware recieve internet from a LAN port and direct it to my Laptop via WiFi?

I ask this because, as far as I know, these modems recieve internet data from a specific ADSL port, filter it through their own internal system as if they are a computer (router), and then share it through LAN and WiFi to connected devices, but what about recieving that from a LAN port? Will I still be able to enter the router's system and set things up for security, or will it just work as an open access point in this case?

If possible, does Windows 7 require any particular settings for that?

I'm sorry it's obvious I'm confused, and I had to post my question like this becuase I obviously don't know what keyword to search for in order to get the specific answer I want. The most common search results deal with routers and ADSL modems.

I hope you guys can help. Thank you.

Best regards,
~KR

Have you tried to connect wirelessly? Most modern laptops have a built in wireless adapter already. Your University should have wireless points set up all across campus...this is the norm now. Contact your university networking department....they should be able to point you in the right direction if your still having problems with out having to have any unnecessary out of pocket expenses. If you do go get a wireless router....Yes you can hook it up to you LAN port in your dorm room, Yes you can hook up, up to 4 pc's/laptops, through the LAN lines, Yes you can go wirelessly with your laptop and Yes you can go in your wireless routers web based page and secure it from prying eyes/free loaders.

My University has WiFi across campus, but not in my dorm. I wouldn't have had to go by that option if that were the case.

Thank you so much for reassuring me of that. I'll probably buy one now ASAP. I'm sick of this short cable. (I can't believe an extender costs £5 in this country! this is ridiculous. I could get it for... 25p max. When I go back home and come back here, I'm gonna get a bunch of extenders and start a business here.)

Kudos!

Hi,

Got the router today. A U.S. Robotics SureConnect ADSL Wireless Gateway Model 9106.

Okay, now while I may have the knowledge to get me through most everything on a single machine level, I hate networking with a passion.

Here's the situation I need to get through now:

I suspect the ethernet socket in my wall is connected to a switch of course, but what I cannot tell is whether they use DHCP to log in devices, or fixed IP's that are assigned to each socket, so any machine that is connected there will be given that IP in particular. I don't even know if that is possible, so DHCP is the likely case.

How is that a problem?

Now I'm going to stick my router into that socket through one of its 4 ethernet portals, do I have to change its IP to one of the same level (it's 192.168.1.1 by default) for it to be part of that network, and then I can recieve the internet bytes via wireless on my computer, or do I just set it up like an access point and it does the rest? I ask because how am I supposed to figure out a free, unassigned IP? Use NetScan, or do these things take automatic IP's as well?

Sorry but the last time I messed up with an access point was over 4 years ago, and now I'm too overhwelmed with my postgraduate studies to google up all the terms which I haven't yet faced. Though I might do some of that, I mean... bridging? [/noob]

In short, what is the basic configuration for me to get net on my laptop through my router, which is NOT connected to ADSL, but to another ethernet switch? I'll figure out advanced settings later. I just need to get it going now.

Appreciate your help guys. Thanks a lot in advance.

If I understand correctly

wall>>>>>>>>ehernet>>>>>>wan port on router>>>>>>>lan port on router>>>>>>pc.

Is that the case?

Wait, you lost me there...

The idea is that WALL IS NOT DSL port! It's just an ethernet linking to dorm network.

now:

Wall to router LAN via cable, then Router to PC via WiFi.

In other words, I'm using the router as an access point instead of a cable extention because my cable is too short. haha.

ha.

I seem to have a problem figuring out which settings neet to be set manually, and which ones need to be set by hand. I know what IP my computer is usually given by their DHCP (and it's always the same IP) when it connects to WALL (we'll call that wall now, aye?), and I know their default gateway, but their DNS is an address, not an IP, and my router only accepts IP. Pinging that address seems to crash CMD because it just closes down immediately.

Okay, so I've just stolen all the settings from my netword adapter's properties and copied them into my router. I messed around a little bit, and all of sudden, there seems to be some kind of a connection, BUT!

The network (a University accomodation one) wanted to re-register me, and as i was reading their info page again, I read the following:

Blah blah blah operating systems are not supported.

Appliances designed to share a network conenction, such as routers or Apple's "Time Capsule" are also not allowed on the SNS (Student Network Service).

I wonder, can they do that? I mean, I'm not sharing, I'm just extending the distance within my room, it's just one machine after all.

This brings about a new question.

I do not believe I am breaking any terms, but CAN I BE DETECTED?

I ask because these things are automated on the service, and you can't really bargain when the other end is a computer.

Anyway, being connected to the SNS filter in that manner means that I was probably successful in connecting at all, but how did they recognize there's a new device connected? MAC addresses?

And after I successfully reached the filter (by filter, I mean the SNS page that asks you to verify that you're a student, and checks your computer's configuration to register you on the network), I noticed that all IP's changed, even I couldn't ping the router anymore.

I just hate networks. XD

In other words, I'm using the router as an access point instead of a cable extention because my cable is too short.

Appliances designed to share a network conenction, such as routers or Apple's "Time Capsule" are also not allowed on the SNS (Student Network Service). I wonder, can they do that? I mean, I'm not sharing, I'm just extending the distance within my room, it's just one machine after all.
It would seem that you have answered your own question. Regardless of you actual intent (not to share the connection) it seems that their Terms of Service / Terms of Use are pretty clear, the use of a router in this environment would be a violation.
It would seem that they are associating IP address assignment to MAC addresses which is typical and even if you did somehow manage to get it to work it would probably be easily identified and detected. It would seem that the purchase of a longer cable would be the best solution to your issue.
EDIT: If you ask someone in the IT department they may even have some spare cables that they will loan or give you to resolve the problem.

Last edited:
This is what I'm wondering about. If they associate IP's with MAC addresses, so simply add MAC addresses to their list of registered users, how can they tell whether the MAC in question is a router or a laptop?

I was first worried that if they use DHCP to assign IP's, making that different each time, then how am I going to fix it for my local connection? I'm not sure how it's possible to associate a specific IP out of the range to a specific machine or port, unless maybe it's a MAC/IP database, and that combination is created at registring your computer for the network. It is clear that registering a laptop is heavily reliant on MAC addresses because if for some reason it cannot be detected, I'm sure their system asks you to enter it manually (they have instructions for that.)

Anyway, even if I'm not doing that now, I still want to know what the typical settings for completing the aforementioned connection are; what needs to go where? And it can help others, make threads useful and full of awesome good.

Back
Top Bottom