Windows 8 Consumer Preview Download

I know, Dave, makes the whole effort counter-productive or self-defeating :(.

And, Cat,

"In that case, I hope that it's released this week, so that "you will not be able to use a computer any more". Then, we won't have to hear this crap.

New members comes to these type of forums looking for support & sees this kind of nonsense, and goes elsewhere in search of a place not full of this BS. Honestly, I can't say that I blame them."

Why don't you tell us how you really feel, lol ;) ?

Actually, well said, Cat! We're all w/ you!

Last edited by a moderator:
In that case, I hope that it's released this week, so that "you will not be able to use a computer any more". Then, we won't have to hear this crap.

New members comes to these type of forums looking for support & sees this kind of nonsense, and goes elsewhere in search of a place not full of this BS. Honestly, I can't say that I blame them.

Cat

Well it won't just be me who won't be able to use a computer if WINDOWS 8 NIGHTMARES PREVIEW is put out on sale. It will be millions of other people as well. Most computers users are just ordinary home users,families,and office workers. Who only just about know how to use Windows XP. But they can use Windows Vista and Windows 7 because it has a start menu. And looks similar to Windows XP.

But Windows 8 CP is NOTHING like Windows or even as good as Windows XP and Windows 7 was. So unless Microsoft at least make it like DP with the option to disable the Metro theme. Windows 8 CP will be THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Well it already is. Andrea Borman.

Andrea
Go find a Microsoft Haters forum and do your whining there. Numerous people have suggested solutions. Apparently you are to stubborn or thick to try them.
Joe

Andrea
Go find a Microsoft Haters forum and do your whining there. Numerous people have suggested solutions. Apparently you are to stubborn or thick to try them.
Joe

No No. I love Windows. Not Windows 8 CP, but the REAL Windows,Windows XP and Windows 7 which I am using. And also I can use.

But this idea of making the next version of Windows with no start menu and the Metro theme is not a joke. It's not funny.

Because if it happens a lot of people including me will not be able to use a computer any more. And you don't like the Metro theme either.And like me you also want the Windows 7 start menu and desktop. We all do.

So is there anything we can do to talk Microsoft out of making the next version of Windows like this? And instead make it with a normal Windows 7 start menu and desktop? And no Metro theme?

A lot of people have complained about this version of Windows 8, not just me. Why don't Microsoft just let up and make Windows 8 with the normal Windows 7 desktop and start menu? Or not make Windows 8 at all. As we already have everything we want in Windows 7. But sadly it seems they don't want to do that. Andrea Borman.

Plus 1

I see no advantage, to MS even including a "Desktop" in their Win-8/CP version and then crippling it to make it almost unusable.
What's up wit dat? Dumb, really dumb!

It's like selling a beautiful new car, but leaving out the steering wheel. Was that someone's attempt at humor, or was it just to spite those millions of people who have made Mr Wm Gates a billionaire?

Using what's available in the OS, I've constructed my own Desktop to pretty much approximate what I have in XP (I've never embraced Windows 7). But I've been using Windows since its first release in the early 90's, so I'm no stranger to it. I can pretty much do anything I want, with Win-?
Just a for-instance, I like having "System Restore" on my desktop where I can quickly get at it when I need it.
So I tracked down the .exe for it at:
C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe
And I just did the "Send to Desktop and Create a Shortcut" routine. So now I have it on my desktop.
I did the same thing for Notepad and Wordpad and put those shortcuts in my task bar.

You can no longer make a new restore point from the System Restore program. That's somewhere else. But I finally found it.
Control Panel > System > (I'll finish this once I'm back in Win-8. Currently in XP)

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor :cool:

Hmmmm! I've tried in vain, to go back into my last post and "Edit" it. The forum software just won't go there.
(I'm currently in Win-8/64)

Now, where was I? Oh, yes, talking about doing a manual "System Restore Point".
The path to that function is:

> Control Panel > System & Security > System > System Protection > Click the "Create" button in the lower right part of the window.
Type in a name for your restore point and finish the process by clicking the 'Create' button, Then the "Close" button, then the "OK" button. Finally, close the system window by clicking the "X" in the upper Rt Corner of the window.

I'm still looking for a "Create a Restore Point" script, like the one I use in Windows XP. The one for XP does not work in Win-8.

Cheers Mates!

Dr Who wrote-
I see no advantage, to MS even including a "Desktop" in their Win-8/CP version and then crippling it to make it almost unusable.
What's up wit dat? Dumb, really dumb!

It's like selling a beautiful new car, but leaving out the steering wheel. Was that someone's attempt at humor, or was it just to spite those millions of people who have made Mr Wm Gates a billionaire?

Well said. You are absolutely right. They should never have invented that horrible horrible Metro theme and taken away our beloved Windows 7 start menu and start orb. And it seems that a lot of programs like Classic Shell are dependant on the start orb in order to work. That is why they don't work on Windows 8 CP.

Dr Who wrote-
Using what's available in the OS, I've constructed my own Desktop to pretty much approximate what I have in XP (I've never embraced Windows 7).

Yes Windows XP is great but so is Windows 7. I recommend you keep both operating systems.Like I do. I discovered Windows XP last year and I love it. And I love Windows 7 too. As both are fast and very user friendly.

Dr Who wrote-
You can no longer make a new restore point from the System Restore program. That's somewhere else. But I finally found it.
Control Panel > System > (I'll finish this once I'm back in Win-8. Currently in XP)

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor :

What you can no longer create a restore point in System Restore like you can in Windows XP,Vista and 7? Well I am surprised at that. But I should not be. After all Windows 8 Consumer Preview is WINDOWS 8 NIGHTMARES PREVIEW.

So not being able to turn off the Metro theme and get the Windows 7 start menu. And the loss of other features we had in Windows 7. Is only the beginning of our nightmare of being stuck with the dreaded Windows 8. THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

It is all very depressing. Andrea Borman.

"AU Contraire MON Ami" !

There is absolutely Nothing forcing you to ever use Windows 8. Just like nothing forces you to drive a certain brand of car or eat a certain food. That option is still up to you, 100%.
You can still run XP or Win-7 till the day you die, if you want. I probably will! (XP but never Win-7)

The only reason I'm even here and testing Win-8, is because I'm still in the computer business and I have to know how to set up and tweak the Win-8 PC's that my customers will buy sometime within the next year. At least 99% of my older customers will never warm up to Win-8 and the Metro UI. If I can give them something that will at least closely approximate their old Windows XP, they will be satisfied, if not happy. There's nothing I can currently do about the loss of their "Outlook Express" or address book. That's one problem they will just have to deal with.

I'm still looking for that script to force a new restore point.

Cheers!

Dr Who wrote-
There is absolutely Nothing forcing you to ever use Windows 8. Just like nothing forces you to drive a certain brand of car or eat a certain food. That option is still up to you, 100%.
You can still run XP or Win-7 till the day you die, if you want. I probably will! (XP but never Win-7)

Yes I certainly will use Windows XP and Windows 7 untill the day I die. To avoid being stuck with Windows 8. Unless they make it like Windows 7 like Windows 8 Developers Preview was.

Dr Who wrote-
The only reason I'm even here and testing Win-8, is because I'm still in the computer business and I have to know how to set up and tweak the Win-8 PC's that my customers will buy sometime within the next year. At least 99% of my older customers will never warm up to Win-8 and the Metro UI. If I can give them something that will at least closely approximate their old Windows XP, they will be satisfied, if not happy. There's nothing I can currently do about the loss of their "Outlook Express" or address book. That's one problem they will just have to deal with.

Well I hope that they and the rest of the public never have to face being forced to buy or use Windows 8.

If we could get our Presidents and Prime Ministers and The European Court Of Human Rights to sit up and take notice of out complaint. They will ban Windows 8 and the Metro theme. And then if Microsoft want to make a Windows 8,they will have to make it like Windows 7.With a normal desktop and start menu.

After all if Microsoft get their way,not even our Presidents or Prime Ministers or any government workers will be able to use a computer any more. And they won't like that any more than we will. Andrea Borman.

Andrea
My nephew has multiple learning disabilities and is autistic and he can manage it. If you hate it so much try something else like Linux and give the nonstop whining a rest.
Joe

Well Joe,using Linux is an alternative to Windows 8 but it's not the solution. true,most versions of Linux do have a start menu,which is a step up from Windows 8 CP.

I have installed Linux Mint 11 Gnome edition on one of my many netbooks,that used to have Windows 7 on it. And I am running Linux Mint as the only operating system on that netbook. But Linux is not a way out and is not without it's problems.

Linux is harder to use than Windows and I have had to reinstall my Linux operating system several times. After my taskbar went missing and I could not fix it.Or I have accidentally broken something in Linux and could not find a way to restore the original settings.

But on Windows these problems would have been fixed in five minutes without having to do a reinstall. In fact Windows XP and Windows 7 are very stable,so you seldom, if ever, have to reinstall Windows. And Windows is more user friendly than Linux,except for Windows 8 CP of course.

Also a lot of programs won't run on Linux not even with Wine. So we do still need Windows. But not this version of Windows,Windows 8 CP,no.If you want a good version of Windows use Windows 7 and Windows XP. They are both good.

It is a shame that Microsoft are seeking to destroy Windows by creating this Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

It sure seems to be time for the Administrators to step in here and do something. This person has been warned and even though I have her on my ignore list (I have never added anyone to an ignore list on any forum before) she is becoming such a pest she will drive new members away. Many of the posts not posted by her are directed towards her so even though she is set as ignored it is difficult to ignore her. I can definitely see why she has been banned on all other forums she has joined. She is like a broken record and just will not stop.

PLEASE JUST BAN HER!

Does anyone else feel this way?

She's little more than a troll. I don't know of anyone she actually helped since she came to Windows 7. It's all these endless rants. Maybe they can make a Metro Hater's Forum , make her the moderator of it and restrict all of her posts there.
Joe

Well Joe,using Linux is an alternative to Windows 8 but it's not the solution. true,most versions of Linux do have a start menu,which is a step up from Windows 8 CP.

Actually, Android itself, which is running on half of the world's consumer smart phones, is a Linux-based operating system. For Microsoft, at least, the worst possible nightmare did happen. It was only a few years ago that Microsoft's Steve Ballmer claimed, rather unusually, in a press interview, that portions of Linux violated Microsoft's intellectual property rights. This was before the rise of Android. Linux has become mainstream, but the fact has been lost on most consumers. Most tablets, slates, and smart phones are designed for consumer-use only and not production or productivity. What you are witnessing with Windows 8 CP, in my opinion, is an attempt by Microsoft to catch up. For years, Microsoft fans claimed that Linux would never go anywhere - that it would never be able to compete as a desktop operating system. For the most part, those people were right, at least about the desktop operating system. Linux-based phones still use console commands for debugging and a touch-based user interface for handling apps and phone calls. It was only a matter of time until a major player in IT started funding the development of Linux-based products and service for the consumer market. Before that, Linux was always used as a nearly cost-free alternative to Windows Server and IIS. What we are witnessing today, where Microsoft is competing, are UNIX and Linux-based systems competing directly with Microsoft. When Playstation 3 first launched, it touted the capability of allowing you to install a separate OS. The 'Other OS' option was designed specifically for Linux installs. It was only removed when modders started using the feature to bypass DRM on games. Mac OS itself is UNIX derivative. All you have to do is look at the networking options in the OS and you will see what was done here. It is heavily influenced by UNIX technology.

The last few years have seen Microsoft implement a layered security model into their systems that resembles the Linux and UNIX multi-user rights management that has been present in Linux operating systems for decades. This means permissions are based on user privileges, user groups, and file/folder read/write/executable permissions. In this area, Microsoft beefed up Windows security with NT by directly incorporating certain concepts that were found in server-based operating systems.

Windows shows its BSD heritage - fak3r

There is nothing amazing about any of this. It would be great to see cross-compatibility between these types of systems. The main issue of contention is closed-source technology versus open-source. Microsoft has for decades argued that making its proprietary source code open to the public would introduce too many exploits. However, they continue to share portions of the source code with Ivy League universities, research center, and other places in extremely secure environments. It is very possible that they benefit from this information sharing to some degree. With Linux-based systems, on the other hand, it was only recently that rumors started swelling that Google will make Android closed source. As of right now, however, the Android Open Source Project initiative has made sure that is just a rumor.

Oracle suit outs Google's closed source Android tactics ? The Register

The difference between open source and closed source development in operating system software can be felt the most as soon as a large amount of investment capital and human resources begins to go into the development of the operating system. Whereas proprietary closed source advocates have argued that keeping the source code away from the public prevents exploits, open source advocates will tell you that they are able to identify exploits more readily, and in fact, patch software more quickly. The main problem with an open source Microsoft Windows would be that a highly skilled programmer with the same beliefs as Andrea Borman would be able to make sure Windows 8 acted just the way she wanted - without necessarily paying anything extra for it.

Take a look at most software outside of operating systems, and you will find that it is proprietary software that is pre-compiled for Microsoft Windows. However, when you look at Linux-based server software, almost all of it, including the GNU utilities, is open source. Companies that make closed source software for Linux benefit from the open source platform but keep their source code close to them so that competitors can't sell the same product. When Red Hat Linux started charging for enterprise-level support and updates, a group of programmers started working on an operating system that now dominates the web hosting market. Dubbed CentOS - this operating system is entirely a Red Hat Linux clone. The same support updates are thrown into CentOS free of charge, and all Red Hat branding has simply been removed. It is updated regularly and there is nothing the people at Red Hat can really do about it. CentOS is used, reliably, all over the Internet.

So when looking a this issue, you have some points. The day that Microsoft dreaded has surely come. Linux is very mainstream. There are more Smart Phones in North America sitting in warehouses than their are human beings. Half of them are running Linux-based operating systems.

So, Andrea, you have a point. Fanboys are never going to like your point, and repeating it ad-nauseum doesn't lend credibility to it. I would urge you not to continue to call for government intervention and re-use the same talking points about human rights. Eventually we will have to start flagging your account with infraction points for repetition on this issue.

But you do have a point. There is a corporation, whose chairman wiped out malaria, with $60 billion dollars in cash reserves playing catch up to Linux and open source operating systems.

It sure seems to be time for the Administrators to step in here and do something. This person has been warned and even though I have her on my ignore list (I have never added anyone to an ignore list on any forum before) she is becoming such a pest she will drive new members away. Many of the posts not posted by her are directed towards her so even though she is set as ignored it is difficult to ignore her. I can definitely see why she has been banned on all other forums she has joined. She is like a broken record and just will not stop.

PLEASE JUST BAN HER!

Does anyone else feel this way?

No you are exaggerating Ted. I have not been banned from every forum I have joined. Just Seven Forums and Expert Law forums. But then so have lot's of other people. So I am not the only one. Andrea Borman.

I think a solution to the problem of not being able to use Windows 8 because of the no start menu and Metro theme. Would be for Microsoft to make two versions.

One Windows 8 with the Metro theme which is obviously for more advanced computer user.

And the other version of Windows 8 with the Windows 7 start menu and desktop.That ordinary computer users and non experienced Windows users like me are used to and know how to use.

And then when the time came and we had to buy Windows 8.People like me would just pick the version with the Windows 7 start menu and desktop. That would solve the problem.

I don't see why Microsoft cannot just do that. Andrea Borman.

Andrea, I have sent you a visitor message on this subject vs. adding more OT content to this thread. Thank you.

On some open space on Start typing Restore Points. Will bring up Search > Settings & Create Restore Points will be there.

Have mentioned before, finding things in Win8 is easy & quick.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words, nothing has changed or improved. It's turning more & more ppl off, more & more. Care about the (majority of) ppl, hear their voice & frustration. I don't even see the tiring rubbish, anymore... but, realize, ppl are fed up w/ it.

Countless times they are saying things bluntly & sadly, all to no avail. Feel their pain. Really seems they would like to be rid of this pain.

Back