Windows 7 Critical Kernel-Power ID 41 Task 63 Crash

Alright attached is my diagnostic-performance event log.

Attachments

• Diagnostic Performance Events.txt
    36 KB · Views: 1,372
okay here what is notable:

File Name : explorer.exe
Friendly Name : Windows Explorer
Version : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Total Time : 9321ms
Degradation Time : 4321ms

"Background optimizations (prefetching) took longer to complete, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
Name : BackgroundPrefetchTime
Total Time : 41613ms
Degradation Time : 9582ms
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2010‎-‎04‎-‎15T06:22:15.671600000Z"

File Name : hon.exe
Friendly Name : Heroes of Newerth
Version : 0, 1, 54, 0
Total Time : 7081ms
Degradation Time : 2081ms

001 8:31:07 AM Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance 203 Shutdown Performance Monitoring "This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:
File Name : CryptSvc
Friendly Name : Cryptographic Services
Total Time : 5884ms
Degradation Time : 1884ms

Monitoring "This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:
File Name : WinDefend
Friendly Name : Service Module
Total Time : 8505ms
Degradation Time : 4505ms

Warning 14/04/2001 3:11:06 AM Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance 501 Desktop Window Manager Monitoring "The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Reason : Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.
Diagnosis : A sharp degradation in Desktop Window Manager responsiveness was observed."
Warning 14/04/2001 3:11:06 AM Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance 500 Desktop Window Manager Monitoring "The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded."
Warning 14/04/2001 2:13:10 AM Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance 500 Desktop Window Manager Monitoring "The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition."
Warning 14/04/2001 1:57:43 AM Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance 501 Desktop Window Manager Monitoring "The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Reason : Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.
Diagnosis : A sharp degradation in Desktop Window Manager responsiveness was observed."
Warning 14/04/2001 1:57:43 AM Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance 500 Desktop Window Manager Monitoring "The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded."

"This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
File Name : msnmsgr.exe
Friendly Name : Windows Live Messenger
Version : 14.0.8089.0726
Total Time : 8939ms
Degradation Time : 3939ms

looks to me you have ram stress - the system overall behaves a bit draggy watch the degradation times > 1 sec (1000ms). Somehow your box is hogging. My suggestions:

1) cleanup ram/background processes
2) make sure latest chipset/hdd/audio drivers are installed
3) video driver got some issues - sweep the driver then reinstall
4) win defender? - install MSE instead
5) Heroes of Newerth seems a hog too

maybe add another 2GB ram for better performance - your system hdd is stressed! Good idea to run a malware checker or once MSE is installed run a full scan.

Broome your box, buddy, then things will improve.

Thanks for that.

Yea i used to have 4Gb of ram in the machine but the second stick died on me. Was gonna replace it when funds allow.

Shouldn't be any malware issues as i reformatted last week.... but will check anyway

All drivers have been updated. Will try uninstall/reinstalling the video card drivers tho.

Will get MSE in a minute as well and scan with that

Yea Heroes of Newerth has a few reported problems with 7 hogging resources. Hopefully theyl fix those issues soon

Will post back with updates after trying some of these suggestions

EDIT: how do i go about cleaning up my ram?.....

Last edited:
Alright im working on lowering my memory usage.

The key things that are standing out to me right now is one of the svchost.exe is using anywhere between 60-100mb or memory. Also MsMpEng.exe which is the process for MSE which i just installed is consuming a whopping 150mb of memory while not in use.

My computer while idling with MSN / Chrome and some system monitors open is using 50% of my 2GB ram. Doesnt exactly leave much room for games and stuff like hon and whatnot to run....

Any strategies for reducing this memory usage?

Thanks for that.

EDIT: how do i go about cleaning up my ram?.....

depending on your experience level go into the task manager/processes tab and see what processes are active probably pointing to old software supposed to be uninstalled (debris)

try to minimise active software to what you really use and uninstall everything you forgot about . remove hogs where possible. skim through Programs & Features (CP) and get rid of everything unnecessary by uninstalling it.

The key things that are standing out to me right now is one of the svchost.exe is using anywhere between 60-100mb or memory. Also MsMpEng.exe which is the process for MSE which i just installed is consuming a whopping 150mb of memory while not in use.

that svchost ~ 100MB belongs to the audio processor if I am not mistaken - it's normal!
MsMpEng.exe here is using ~70MB not sure why it takes double the ram on your box

Any strategies for reducing this memory usage?

simple, get more ram! sorry could not resist ;)
you would sail much smoother with 4GB or more ram

Last edited:
Also, the svchost.exe is actly what it says to be: A service host.
It hosts more than half the running services, all with different parameters.

4 GB of RAM would definitely fix that problem.

Heat Problem???

I have the failures on startup at times. The system has not started to heat up at that point. It happens when nothing is being done. Very random.

Alright despite the fact i cant afford it i went and got two new sticks of ram and took the old one out.

Been running the system for around 24 hours now and no crash yet.

Hopefully it stays that way

Alright despite the fact i cant afford it i went and got two new sticks of ram and took the old one out.

Been running the system for around 24 hours now and no crash yet.

Hopefully it stays that way

Probably a smart idea to run a repair install to fix up possible data corruptions on the disk - just to be on the safe side.

Back