Windows 7 Do you use your laptop as a desktop?

Yeah, I buy practically all my stuff at Newegg too. And the girls are champions on discounts. Problem is, when they have those 50% off coupons, they MUST buy. My house is bulging from all that stuff that was 50% cheaper.

Yes, I know what you mean. I suppose that's why my wife makes regular donations of clothing to the local Hospice store, to make room for the new. Happens every season. But it's for a good cause.

As for me, I only buy the things that I actually use, mostly on a daily basis. So I have little to give away, not to mention more closet space.

The way we have things setup, we both have a monthly allowance for spending, as long as neither of us goes outside of that, there's no problem. We've lived that way since 1986, 26 years. This was the way things were planned when we moved in together. It took us 2 years of living together to make sure things were working out, they were, & we were married in 1988.

This also played a part in her having a computer that she could use. She said that mine was too complicated for her, and felt that she has the right to one that she could use also. That was reasonable enough to me, so that's why the ThinkPad is basically hers. The only thing is, that I wished that she could use another browser than IE8. Nothing against IE8, except it's 3 years old. She doesn't understand how to use the NoScript option on Firefox. As a result of this, SuperAntiSpyware finds loads of tracking & ad cookies on every scan.

I believe that the latest Opera would be a better choice for her. No 3 year old browser for me.

Cat

I actually like the IE9 or the new IE10 on Win8. But I also use Chrome, Opera and Safari. FF I tried but did not like it.

Tracking cookies are benign. I run SAS twice per week and every time it eradicates 150 or so.

That's one of the things about IE. I don't know about IE 9/10, as I seldom use either. SAS does finds loads of tracking & ad cookies after using the browser for only a few minutes.

One other reason that I prefer Firefox, or Opera, is that one can still install the latest version on XP/2000. I'm using W2K right now, with FF 11.0, because the HDD that runs Windows 8 is backing up. The latest Opera is also installed, but I seldom use it.

Speaking of which, MS should have allowed for IE9 to be installed on XP, as well as IE7 on Windows 2000. IE7 was released long before W2K's support ran out in 2010, and although W2K represents a very small amount of users, that very small percentage adds up to tens, if not hundreds of thousands of users.

ESET Smart Security & MBAM Pro still supports this OS also, it's OK for web browsing, email checking, but I no longer make transactions on it. But it's well secured with both the solutions that I mentioned above. That's my security stance that's worked well for me for a while.

Cat

Just last night I converted my old HTPC notebook into a desktop. By that I mean I stripped it from its case and built a small makeshift one using the original bottom piece and a cut piece of plastic - it now looks something like a nettop. I did it because the keyboard wasn't working and the touchpad was on it's last leg. It works great now, on a desk :D

Just last night I converted my old HTPC notebook into a desktop. By that I mean I stripped it from its case and built a small makeshift one using the original bottom piece and a cut piece of plastic - it now looks something like a nettop. I did it because the keyboard wasn't working and the touchpad was on it's last leg. It works great now, on a desk :D

Mitchell, you just coined a new product, Nettop
214obqg.jpg

We also use ours as a desktop as I consider it a portable desktop, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom