Windows 7 documents and settings issue

coolwalker

Yesterday I tried to access my documents and settings and was told I didn't have permission. I went to UAC and set the slider to the bottom and tried again. No luck. I right clicked on it, went to properties and then sharing and it was set to No Access. I tried to change that but everytime it kept going back to No Access no matter what. is there some kind of fix for this? I can access my documents and my pictures and everything else but when attempting to simply go to documents and settings on its own, I can't get in.

I like Win 7 greatly, but this is pi$$ing me off! :mad:

you want permissions which is under security tab not sharing :eek:

go to your folder and right click properties / security / edit then pick you admin%yourusername% and tick boxes to give you full control and modify etc click ok and should work ;)

or you can goto this post by "rak" and use his take ownership addon to right click menu :cool:

I have another post on this issue also. But here goes.
Documents and settings is a system folder. It is known, as it was in Vista, as a junction folder. It, together with several other XP style , and inaccessible, folders, is there only for backward compatibilty only. To gain access is a recipe for chaos. You will find, at best, that you start getting duplicates of files, and even folders, all over your OS.

If you accepted the defaults in the Tools -Folder options - views of Windows explorer, you should not even be able to see it, which was as intended.

Documents and settings is not a real folder in Vista or Windows 7. It is called a Junction and it is there to allow legacy progams to interface with the Windows 7 folder structure. What was contained in Documents and settings is now in
C:\Users\<your user name>\

I've done everything suggested and I still can't simply open my documents and settings. Is there any registry fix?

Back