Windows 10 Does Windows 10 default to 59Hz refresh rate.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I have two systems, one running Nvidia and one Intel graphics. On both systems, the default refresh rate was selected as 59 Hz by Windows 10. The monitors are rated at 60 Hz and the screen appears clean at that refresh rate where it appears fuzzy at 59 Hz.

Is Windows 10 incorrectly deciding on a refresh rate? I thought it was supposed to get that info from the monitor, but it appears something may be wrong with that process.

Thanks

I just checked mine and it is set at 60 hertz. I don't know if running dual or more monitors makes a difference or not. I only have the one monitor.

Both of mine are single monitor. I noticed the last Nvidia update seemed fuzzy, so maybe they had already been set that way...

Thanks

I ran into that in Windows 7 I think I had to go in and create a custom profile to fix it.
Joe

Thanks Joe, I have also seen it off and on. I don't why it would select 59 instead of 60 unless that was more compatible with more systems.

I think I will start watching more closely because I could certainly tell the difference on the 2560x1440 display.

Hi

I just checked mine and it shows the options as 60, 100, 120 and 144 Hz, all even numbers.

Mike

Uhmmm.. I wonder why mine seem to default to 59 Hz.

Thanks, Mike.

Thanks Mike, I will have to keep that in mind. After I set both systems to 60 Hz, they stayed there. I know during the Preview, there were some reports of a fuzzy monitor. Possibly it was tied to this situation, because that is what happened to the 2560x1440. And that system does not run Media Center but does have the Cyberlink Power DVD software installed.

Next time I watch Netflix or a DVD I will look very closely for the video presentation quality.

I was using the system yesterday and the Desktop and lighting must have been exactly right, but I could see noise lines running down the screen. Since that indicates a timing problem, I put it back to 59p Hz and the interference stopped. Perhaps an Windows update was involved, but the screen looks better so I will have to leave it on 59p Hz for a while to see how it goes.

The other strange thing is the Refresh Rate shows as 59p Hz or 60p Hz, which I assume means progressive scan... Since my Nvidia system doesn't show the "p", maybe that is an Intel special designation or perhaps the higher resolution monitor uses it.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom