Windows 8 dual audio using hdmi

bb8

i'm using an hdmi cable to extend my laptop (windows 8.1) display (win + p -> extend). i connect my laptop to tv (samsung). but i can only hear the audio through only one device - either laptop or pc (depending on which i set as default device). but i want to have two different audio outputs for each device. i've read others posts on this but none of them are much of help. please help!

By default, you can only have one audio output and this can not be changed. I'm not aware of any 3rd party software or device that will allow this....I've not looked either.

there's a software called "virtual audio cable" but i couldn't configure it for dual audio output. any ideas about this?

You can easily do this without extra software.
  • Plug in your HDMI cable
  • Right click on the speaker icon on the desktop and select 'Playback devices'
  • Set the default playback to your local speakers
  • Next go to the recordings tab and look for 'Stereo Mix', if you don't see it right click on an empty spot and select 'Show Disabled Devices'
  • Enable Stereo Mix
  • Right click on Stereo Mix and click on the "Listen" tab
  • Check the "Listen to this device"
  • In the drop down menu select the TV
  • On the "Levels" tab you can adjust the volume, also go to the advanced tab and uncheck the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

thanks for the suggestion, i've read about that, but that applies to windows 7, and there's no stereo mix or listen tab on windows 8

This works on Windows 10 latest build as well I'd imagine it would be there on 8 as well. I can build an 8 WM when I get home.

Wow, Neem! I didn't think this was possible either. I think I remember trying to figure out how to do this a while back on my Sony laptop and TV with W10 and it didn't work. I also remember, perhaps incorrectly, that I used to get simultaneous audio on the Sony back when it was still running W7. Hope it works for the OP.:encouragement:

EDIT: I have a new 4k SmartTV now, so that freed up my laptop to do other stuff like playing facebook or YouTube videos while watching a TV show on the big TV. So each device can now play it's own audio at the same time. Have to turn down the volume on one or the other (TV or laptop) to hear both though! :fdance:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom