Windows 7 DVD drive not reading discs

st19

For some reason my dvd drive is not reading discs. It has been working before, and now it doesnt seem to read any discs i put in the drive. It also doesnt make any noise or any sign that it is in. My problem is is that the dvd drive isnt recognizing the dvd's i put. Even if if put a disc in the drive the D drive says that there is no discs inserted when there is. I am not sure if this is a hardware or software malfunction. I have tried:

1. deleting MousePoint2 in the registry and restarting.
2. uninstalling my cd/dvd drives then rebooting
3. deleting the upper and lower files in the registry or whatever that was

when the drive was working i remember leaving a disc in the drive then shutting down the computer. Maybe that was the problem?

My specs are

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit service pack 1
Dell inspiron 620
intel core i3 3.3 ghz
intel hd graphics family
6 gb ram

I had my computer for 3 months and the dvd drive isnt working is this normal that i have to replace the dvd drive?

Any chance a bad connection is at fault, maybe remove and replace the drive?

Does the drive still show in Device Manager without any yellow marks?

And things do break, although not that soon.. If this unit is in warranty, Dell will probably send you a replacement drive. They are usually good about helping with problems.

As far as device manager is concerned, the drive is working without a problem, no yellow exclamation icons. This is a laptop, I can't take the drive out without doing a lot of work. Also, this same problem has happened with my gaming rig, how ever that rig is 2 years old and has gone through alot, which is why I switched to burnhing on this computer.

Last edited:
For some reason my dvd drive is not reading discs. It has been working before, and now it doesnt seem to read any discs i put in the drive. It also doesnt make any noise or any sign that it is in. My problem is is that the dvd drive isnt recognizing the dvd's i put. Even if if put a disc in the drive the D drive says that there is no discs inserted when there is. I am not sure if this is a hardware or software malfunction. I have tried:

when the drive was working i remember leaving a disc in the drive then shutting down the computer. Maybe that was the problem?

My specs are

Dell inspiron 620
intel core i3 3.3 ghz
intel hd graphics family
6 gb ram

I had my computer for 3 months and the dvd drive isnt working is this normal that i have to replace the dvd drive?
There is a free tool that may be of help, you have nothing to lose in trying it out.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

This tool fixed my DVD drive once, while it was still beta software. What happened was, the DVD's registry entries became corrupted, possibly because I used Revo Uninstaller to remove one of Ashampoo's burning software suites that was a free offering. I used the most aggressive method to clean it, this possibly caused it, or the Ashampoo software itself.

It's worth a try. Note that this tool works best when using IE.

Cat

Last edited:
The link doesn't provide any software, takes me to a solution center. It is possible I messed around with some of the software associated with my burner, and I do clean my registry often. But I can still read disks, when I put in a blank dvd it asks me to burn it like anything else, any other disk loads up fine to (not so much on the gaming rig how ever)

Last edited:
The link doesn't provide any software, takes me to a solution center. It is possible I messed around with some of the software associated with my burner, and I do clean my registry often. But I can still read disks, when I put in a blank dvd it asks me to burn it like anything else, any other disk loads up fine to (not so much on the gaming rig how ever)
That's what it is, it finds problems with your computer & fixes them, if possible. I know, because I've used it myself.

Unless it's changed in the past few months, that is. I'll check it out myself & report back.

EDIT: I posted the wrong link, though it was on the page that I linked to.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Cat

Last edited:

My specs are

Dell inspiron 620
intel core i3 3.3 ghz
intel hd graphics family
6 gb ram

I dont think my dvd drive would break that soon. Is there any way i can restore my registry to factory settings?
I believe something in the registry is messed up.

I dont think my dvd drive would break that soon. Is there any way i can restore my registry to factory settings?
I believe something in the registry is messed up.

I don't believe this is the same problem that I am having, I can hear the disk in the drive, most disks run without a problem, just can't burn anything.

Back