Windows 7 Error 0x80070017 - Expanding files (0%) - "Cannot install required files"

Ok here we go....

These errors are commonly caused due to memory errors or incompatability.
If you have two memory sticks try installing with only one by swaping each on each installation if it is still not working. try to change the sticks and see if it works

Thanks guys! There is a reason I always come to this site first.

Had a system that was massively messed up because of an anti-virus issue, so tried to do system restore. System restore failed repeatedly, so tried to do clean install. Clean install from USB didn't work with x64 or x86 versions that I have, although both have worked before. Kept getting 0x80070017 error even after wiping HD etc. Was about to jump out a window. Then tried the RAM swap, and it works!

If you are having the 0x80070017 error on install, take out a RAM stick and try again, then if it still doesn't work, try the other one. It works!

You guys saved my sanity again :)

hey there!!
after a LONG time of reading forums i switched to Home Premium and took out 6 GB of ram to have 2 gigs and installed on that. i switched around and found out that my 3rd ram slot worked with holding my one 2GB stick.

I deleted all my hard drive partitions and formatted my hard drive to wipe it clean. Now when I try to install Windows 7 onto my computer, the DVD boots and the installation begins. The installation will complete the "Copying windows files" task in seconds, but sticks at 0% on "Expanding files" for about 30 seconds. I will then receive an error that reads "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the application. Error code: 0x80070017".

I researched this error but couldn't find a resolution. One suggestion was to download my hard drive's drivers onto a pen drive and load them in the installation, but this didn't help.

I also tried installing Windows Vista and received the same problem.

The error in this case has nothing to do with the copy. I have used many different Windows 7 builds, many different DVDs, burning at different speeds, all producing the same problem.

Only when using the Windows 7 RC disc I was asked to "load drivers" as a requirement. Other builds didn't require me to load drivers.

I really don't know what to do, I just want to get my computer up and running again!

i need help with this problem because my laptop doesn't working now and every-one know the life without laptop as the life without air

I have a samsung r530 laptop and it was running 32bit windows 7 and I wanted to go to 64bit and kept getting errors just like you's then I used a tool called windows7 USB iso tool official tool made by Microsoft all I done was got my 64bit ISO file and used that tool to burn to disc then when I tried to update it hung for a while on 0% and it started going up I have just upgraded now and is fully working try my way if no luck message me and I will find out the problem sorry if spelling mistakes I'm sort of using my iPhone while my laptop is updating to 64bit :)

try clear CMOS..it works for me..i install xp but receive error.vista the same too, what I did is I clear CMOS.TURN OFF COMPUTER UNPLUG ALL AC CORD..

i had the same problem, i found this refer to bad media i solve it by installing from
a usb flash drive, i used this program: Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, to mount a usb bootable windows 7, i put the flash drive on the laptop i was having this error 0x80070017 and done, no problems..

Hello friends and found the solution to this problem i was trying to fix my pc and am computer technician eh found this solution is extremely easy as all you have to do is install the operating system download windows 8 so the rivers and all thanks hope averles comment helped :)

solution:
1: try another copy(Not the same copy in another DVD).
or
2: try with new RAM
or
3: try with new dvd writer
or
4: try with more space in C drive

solution number 1 is "tested ok" for my case

Last edited:
solution:
1: try another copy(Not the same copy in another DVD).
or
2: try with new RAM
or
3: try with new dvd writer
or
4: try with more space in C drive

solution number 1 is "tested ok" for my case

Don't follow this guy's suggestions, you would have bought all new hardware for no reason. Try the memory stick switcheroo, 1 stick at a team in each slot

Don't follow this guy's suggestions, you would have bought all new hardware for no reason. Try the memory stick switcheroo, 1 stick at a team in each slot

Dear haarp I am also surprise about the problem. the installation dvd is working on other laptop but not working in a particular laptop so that dvd is not readable or file corrupt. i think it is not possible. your solution may solve the problem which is good but want to know actual matter what is happening with that particular dvd & laptop.

I am posting this just to encourage those out there having the same problem,because without others posting I couldn't have done it.I had clean installed but had the same problems of it stopping at expanding files.I followed the instructions to remove 1 of the ram and it worked perfectly.

Ok, I got a crazy idea to fix this. I know it is very time taking task, but what if I'd copy all the files from my laptop, and put them on my computer that has the same problems with that Expanding files 0% and then the Crash. Would it work?

i have exactly the same problem and don't know what to do.... updated bios, changed sata cables... i'm really desperated.
Can anybody help? :/

I HAD SAME PROBLEM.

I TRIED ALL THINGS.
AFTER ALL THE ONE AND LAST THIG WORKED FOR ME.

I JUST DISCONNECTED MY LAPTOP FROM BATTERY FOR 3 MINUTES AND IT HAS NORMALLY INSTALLED WINDOWS7 FROM MY BOOTABLE USB.
YOU SHOULD TRY THIS ONCE.

Back