Windows 7 Everything stops working... PLEASE HELP!

Stephens12

Hi all, I am experiencing a very strange problem and I have no idea how to fix it.

After my laptop has been on for about an hour or so (the amount of time varies), everything stops working, in the sense that I lose my wireless internet connection, I cant do anything with the task manager, I cant change the power settings for my laptop (even changing the brightness of the screen doesn't do anything), I cant open windows media player, the device manager crashes if I try to do anything with it, I cant open cmd, event viewer, chkdsk, I cant even change the sound volume, date time, or anything like that.

I have to turn my laptop off by holding down the power button, because I cant even shut the laptop down (it hangs on the 'shutting down' blue screen forever).

Can anyone help me? My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5738z, running Windows 7 32-bit.

I have no idea how to fix this, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• WD-20100815-2106.dmp
    317.7 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Hi.

Please navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder. Then zip them. Attach the zip to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

We'll be able to sort this for you easily I would guess.

Try the repair function if you have Windows 7 DVD. Or try Start >> cmd >> sfc /scannow.
You can try restoring the system from the backup image if you have that.
If there any .dmp files in your C:\Windows\Minidump folder, please attach them here.

hi thanks fr the suggestion,

unfortunately there is no folder called 'Minidump' in the Windows folder, tried navigating to it by looking for the folder and by entering the address 'C:\Windows\Minidump' into the explorer, but cant find it. only have one drive and it is root C. tried looking in system properties and 'Kernal memory dump' in enabled. Also tried searching entire computer for any DMP files but none found.

Any ideas? thanks

Update all of your drivers for your model from Acer's site.

If that doesn't help, some old software installed a driver which is hanging the shutdown. Look at which pre July 2009 drivers you have installed and update or uninstall the related software.

Okay never mind I found some dump files in a different folder, it was called 'LiveKernelReports/WATCHDOG', I dont know if this is the same sort of dump report but I will attach them anyway..

Back