explorer 64 bit icon in program files

wuiches

Hi

I just bought a laptop with windows 7.
it has two versions of IE: 32 and 64 bit
what i did was this:

on the start menu i could see the two original internet explorer icons, so i took the 64 bit icon and dragged it to the desktop to create a shortcut and the icon disappeared from the start menu

later i deleted the icon from the desktop and the recycle bin

when i wanted to create a shortcut again i went to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", but this icon wasn't the original explorer icon but a white one, like that you get when you download a file from your mail and you don't have the proper software

so i right click on the icon and selected "pin to start menu" and the icon appeared in the menu but was the white icon

what i want is to get the original icon, the "e" icon

if you can help me i would be very grateful

thanks

You could try either turning IE off and on again (see screenshot) and see if the icon returns or use system restore and go back to a time before you deleted the icon..

Do you have directory named C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

That would be the 32-bit version.If you do not have that directory,you are using the 64-bit edition.

Do you have a dual-boot setup?

Go to Start > Run,and type winver. This will tell you which version you are using.

BTW, how was the manufacturer?

Last edited:
thanks kemical the off-on action worked perfectly!!!!

i have the original icon back in the start menu

greetings from Monterrey, Mexico!!!

You could try either turning IE off and on again (see screenshot) and see if the icon returns or use system restore and go back to a time before you deleted the icon..

Perhaps you are not familiar with some of the new features of Windows 7/Vista. If you right click, as in you case, the IE icon in the start menu, you will now see an option, Pin to taskbar/desktop. Makes life a little easier.
Fwiw. As you could see two IE icons in the Start menu, I guess you were using the 64Bit version, as only one appaers in the 32Bit. In that case, for future info, the (6Bit) IE program is located in Program Files , (which is specifically for 64Bit programs). under, of course, the "Internet explorer" folder.
You will see another folder, as Reghakr points out, which contains only 32Bit programs.

Last edited:
thanks kemical the off-on action worked perfectly!!!!

i have the original icon back in the start menu

greetings from Monterrey, Mexico!!!

Hello too from snowy London...:) Glad you got it fixed..

How can I do that? there is no screenshot...
how can I turn IE8 off and on again??? please need help...

How can I do that? there is no screenshot...
how can I turn IE8 off and on again??? please need help...

sorry, for the multiple post, but I need to create 5 post to be able to send a private message about this issue...
sorry again...
Please I really need those steps...

Back