Windows 7 File/folder that is evidently on desktop cannot be found

Commander_Cool

Hi,

as of a few days I get this phenomenon where a folder or file that I have placed on the desktop - say an installation file as in the example - cannot be deleted when I'm done with it, but rather I get 'Could not find this item...' as can be seen below:

could not find item.jpg

the file just happens to be a remnant from a completed d/l placed on the d/t but that has nothing to do with the problem; it happens on any file, system-wide.

Attempting to rename a folder on the desktop (which folder is very much there, as I can access the files within it), I got this:

Could not find item_2.jpg

Checking my permissions yields this result:

Could not find item_4.jpg

so permissions do not seem to be the problem. Any help with this is appreciated 'cause I'm completely perplexed and at a loss here. I either have to find out what causes this and fix it or it's a reinstall.
a8349ee2bc51dea1.gif

Last edited:
Have you navigated to the file location in C:\Users etc . . . to see if it it shows there? Might also be worth deleting the icon cache.

Have you navigated to the file location in C:\Users etc . . . to see if it it shows there? Might also be worth deleting the icon cache.
Yes, the files/folders that are on the d/t show in C:\Users\Göran\Desktop and it's the same thing there - the file 'can't be found'. If I create a new folder and attempt to rename it it's 'File cannot be found...' but the New Folder is created - I just cannot rename it.
I can also delete and copy files from/to anywhere but not move them or rename them.

Navigate to C:\Users\Goran\Appdata\Local and delete IconCache.db (Hold down shift with delete to delete rather than send to recycle). You may need to change file properties to show hidden/system files. Reboot after deleting.

You say other types of files do the same thing, but your example is a partially complete download.

Have you tried to complete the download for the file?

Last edited:
Did you read the OP and subsequent entries? In the OP I say: "...the file just happens to be a remnant from a completed d/l placed on the d/t but that has nothing to do with the problem; it happens on any file, system-wide."

The file in the first screen-shot is long since dowloaded and moved to another location.

Golly...moveonboot is 37MB. That's exactly ten times the size of CCleaner.exe and six times the size of Speccy...at that size it's gotta be good. ;)

Hopefully - but remember size isn't everything ;)

edit - just checked - the last moveonboot install which I downloaded was an msi file and is 495k! I'll send you a copy of mine if you need.

Last edited:
Repost - just in case it got lost in the thread:

just checked - the last moveonboot install which I downloaded was an msi file and is 495k! I'll send you a copy of mine if you need.

Ok. - gotta pop out for an hour (got a baby to baptise!). Will check progress soon as I get back.

Hello again - I've just downloaded and installed the one from the link I gave you. Looks to be fairly straightforward. First remove any entries from the default list of items to be modified on the next reboot. Then click on the pulldown menu on the top ribbon for delete and select delete file or delete folder as appropriate. Browse to the file folder you want deleting then click on "restart windows".

Hi Pat - 1) I never got the link and 2) you say: "Browse to the file folder you want deleting then click on "restart windows". Wuzza? Do I want to delete a folder? Here's how it looks:

MoveOnBoot_1.jpg

then, on clicking the down arrow top left corner:

MoveOnBoot_2.jpg

I...eh...excuse me for being so dense but I don't see what on earth to do here or how this relates to the difficulties renaming folders I'm experiencing. I think you presuppose I have the same knowledge level you do and a thorough understanding of the workings of MoveOnBoot but I don't and I haven't. What's up with this?

Back