Windows Vista File Sharing Problem

bmullenix

Honorable Member
I am helping a friend set up file and print sharing between his two Vista laptops. The laptops are identical and both are running Vista SP1. I went through the whole file sharing procedure, with no password required. I am sharing the entire C: & D: drives. When laptop #2 tries to log into laptop #1, the user name and password box comes up and I put in the user name & password for laptop #1. It shows both drives and allows them to be opened. But, when laptop #1 tries to access laptop #2, the name & password box comes up, I enter the information and it takes me to the list of shared drives on laptop #2. I double click drive C: and a message pops up saying "Windows cannot access \\laptop #2\c - Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose". When I click Diagnose I get the message "c" is available but the user account that you are logged on with was denied access". Laptop #1 can access the Public folders though that are Laptop #2. I have tried entering the name and password of Laptop #2, Laptop #1 and Everyone with no password. My first question would be why is it requiring a name and password when I have turned off password required. My second question would be why can I use the name and password for Laptop #2 and see the folders, access the public folders but get the error message when I try to access Drive C. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. I am at my wit's end.

uhmmm...

I have disable the guest user in my computers, but anyway I already solve the problem: I access to Windows Media Player Library of one computer and that keep me logged in the computer as other user. As soon I remove the library form the WMP I could access and map drive from the other computer. Thank you...

Back