Windows 7 Frequently Used Program List (aka Most Recent Program List)

baldy

Win7 Pro 64bit

Problems with almost any program showing up on the FPL. The normal start menu list of programs works just fine. I noticed this about 2 months ago in that the FPL was static. Yesterday I manually removed all programs from the FPL and have run a multitude of various programs yet nothing shows up. So now my list is all blank.

OK, to keep the various suggested solutions short, I know about setting the "Start Menu Size"; I've tried 5 to 20. No joy. I know about the checkbox in the Privacy area of the Start Menu tab; mine IS checked but still no joy. I know about "NoStartPage" setting in HKClassesRoot for various program types and to my knowledge, I have no such entries. I have read some suggested solutions about checking the Group Policy Editor and it appears all of mine are set at NO (which I believe is the default setting and it means I haven't changed anything).

Now interestingly, just before I posted this, I typed EV in the run box to check the Event Viewer, and surprisingly "Event Viewer" now appears in the FPL area. Go figure.

I supposed I could work around everything by simply choosing "Pin to Start Menu" for anything that I wanted to appear there but I would like the system to work as designed.

I have consolidated shortcuts from the various start menu folders into my own (Users/Name/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/StateMenu/Programs) just for the sake of convenience in housekeeping of the programs and folders appearance but I can't imagine how this would affect the FPL.

By the way, just where does Win7 keep this list of programs? Is it in a folder under the Users or is it a registry folder? I can't find it and now that mine is blank (or almost blank), that makes looking for a box of empty quite difficult.

Getting old and senile.

Baldy
:(

Back