Windows 7 Getting Rid of Passwords

wilhelm1

Okay, for the umpteenth time I have been trying to get rid of 2 passwords, one on sign in and the other on my hard drive. I have even taken my Toshiba Laptop back to "out of the box" status. I was not able to get the 3 disks to be accepted by pressing F12 until it was satisfied with the 2 passwords. So after re-installing I still have those damn 2 passwords. How can I get rid of them for good?

1. Click on the User Accounts and Family Safety link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply click on the User Accounts icon and proceed to Step 4.
  2. Click on the User Accounts link.
  3. In the Make changes to your user account area of the User Accounts window, click the Remove your password link.
  4. In the text box on the next screen, enter your current Windows 7 password.
Bottom line, I am unable to get past step 1 No User Accounts link appears or Remove your password link

Hi wilhelm1! I'm sorry. I'm running W10 and I don't remember this procedure for W7. I provided the link I thought would work.:(
Are you saying you can't get to the control panel?
Capture48.JPG

Last edited:
I could write a book about what I don't know about computers. I have tried win 10 twice and I just thru in the towel. and went back to Win 7.
Thanks for trying to help me. I sure hope I never have to learn how to use win 10, at my age, not much chance of having too.

Hi wilhelm1! I turned 78 yesterday. I love W10. Sorry if I'm not understanding your replies??
Do you not see User Accounts in the control panel?

Hi wilhelm1! I turned 78 yesterday. I love W10. Sorry if I'm not understanding your replies??
Do you not see User Accounts in the control panel?

I get User Acc. & Family Safety
Change your acct picture
Add or Remove User Acct
Change your password
That is it

Cinco De Mayo the big 80 for me.. Happy Birthday

There are several types of passwords that can be set. A boot password, a BIOS/UEFI password and a hard drive password can all be setup in BIOS/UEFI. These can also be cleared from BIOS/UEFI. Then you also have a Windows password which can be cleared from within Windows or using a tool such as the NTFS offline password tool.

They are going to be different and in some cases not available between models so there isn't a one guide fits all. Generally they will be in a Security tab or Boot options.

I am sorry, I am done for today, I have been on this puter for about 6 hours and I am wiped out. Trying this and trying that. Maybe I can get back to it tomorrow or Monday. My Toshiba Laptop is a Satellite A665. Some one sent me a owners manual download for this computer and I thought I saved it but guess I didn't do it. As far as screen shots, I have tried to do it and not much luck either. My screen at bootup displays a
bright blue screen in the center, asking for my password and then another one asking for my password of my hard drive which I have installed
about 6 months ago. I did an "out of the Box" reboot and was only able to start the operation after I did the passwords. So after going thru the
3 disks, the puter worked okay but the passwords did not leave.

Does it look like this? If so go into BIOS (press F2) There should be an option for "Set HDD password" enter the current password and for the new password just leave it blank.
2016-04-09_18-38-42.png

Thanks Neemobeer! I have a Toshiba and your right on the money. I never use passwords however.
To me they are just a big nuisance!
Thanks for helping! Team work is good!:worship:

I'm very security minded, I have long passwords and all of my devices have full disk encryption. I have AV and HIDS on all my devices a IPS on each of my three network segments, a SIEM that also monitors my networks and a high end UTM at my perimeter :) Of course cyber security is kind of my focus.

Back