Windows 7 GPT partition & win7 problems

unholy1

Hi all,

I don't know too much about hardware nor software of a pc and just learning stuff as I go. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Here is my issue:

i just got a new hdd (because my old one stopped working, malware virus something idk)
but when i try installing win7 on the new hdd, it gives me an error saying that i cannot install win7 on a gpt partition type hdd.

now this is all happening on the os installation screen (where it asks to choose a partition to install win7 on)

i tried formatting the new hdd while in the same menu, and when i click on "Format" nothing happens, cursor dissapears for about a second and then thats it...

i just recently purchased everything new from cpu to mobo to ram to case to heatsink all of it, been over 2 months to put this pc together so im a bit stressed.

if anyone could please guide me into installing win7 on my hdd, would be thankful.

thanks.

wooop thanks alot. the guide was simple and short, i converted the disk to mbr but when i use compmgmt.msc it shows the new mbr disk as "unallocated" and when i try to create new volume now instead of just ntfs it also shows exFAT. i guess i will leave it as unallocated and hope win7 can install. if not i guess i will...come back and ask for more help. hope it works though, thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Isn't exFat what is used of external devices like flash drives?

How do you have this drive connected to your system? How did it get formatted as GPT?

@saltgrass

im not sure what exFAT is , maybe you are right :)

it was originally gpt partitioned, im guessing acting like a external since i culdnt install os on it.

after using cmd i cleaned the drive and convert to mbr and left it alone.

and it works!

i saw the nfts/exFAT option when i typed in compmnmg.msc i think in the start/run bar. and it gave me an option to add a volume on the disk since it was "unallocated". i didnt know what to do so i left it alone and now i am using it to type lol.

thanks a lot patcooke

:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

Back
Top Bottom