Windows 7 Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compatibility checks are like saying that XP will run on 256megs of ram and a 10 gig hard drive. Yeah, it will, but not very darnd well.

I don't know if it's just coincidental or what, but reading many different forums on Win-7, it appears that most of the problems come from W-7 that's loaded on home-made computers.
I regularly set up new computers for my customers, that were purchased with W-7 already installed at the factory. The drivers are correct for the OS and I've long suspected that even the OS is tweaked to best work on the PC it's installed on. One particular PC maker comes to mind.

I take exception to those who say that AVG causes problems. On any PC that's properly set up and running properly, AVG will NEVER cause any problems. I've been using it for close to ten years and installing the FREE version for all my customers and not only do we have no problems with it, we don't get infected either.
People who have the greatest problems with malware are the same ones who refuse to ever check for updates or run scans, with Anti-Malware software.
They erroneously think that because the program is sitting on their hard drive, they are protected. Nothing, could be further from the truth.

There are several programs like "Spybot Search & Destroy", that don't do anything by themselves. I consider it one of the best Anti-Spyware programs on the web, that not only finds and removes Spyware, but Adware and many Trojans too.
But first off it needs to be properly set up. (full instructions are on my web site), then it needs to be updated every week, Immunized and a scan run. Updates are posted every Wednesday. I've intstalled it for people and gone back a year later and find that never was it ever updated or any scan run. Those PC's can be loaded with Spyware, but who would ever know it?

Sorry, didn't mean for this to become a RANT. Computer security is my business and at least part of my livelihood, so I take it seriously.

Cheers mates, Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

OT :cool:

AVG will NEVER cause any problems
Seems like every couple years AVG, doesn't quite live up to your acolades.
In 2008
and again
In 2010
Having worked for several years as a contractor for an AVG reseller, I've had some personal experience with their commercial workstation and server products and have personally seen a 2k3 server rendered unbootable in normal mode until a safemode boot was used to uninstall AVG. I used it for years back in the day and always recommended it to all my friends and family, but no more.
A second opinion
Regards
Randy

Of all my several hundred customers who use AVG FREE, not a single one uses a Workstation or Server.
(In fact, I don't even know anyone who does. Computers don't come out of retail stores with those somewhat obscure OS's on them.)

But we all use various versions of Windows from XP-Home to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and not a one of us has any problems at all with AVG.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but AVG FREE just works. They do have a separate version for 64 bit OS's.
I would install or recommend nothing else.
On my main PC I run AVG 2012 Internet Security (Retail Ver.) and on my other PC's I run AVG 2012 FREE.

I've neither had, nor do I expect any problems.

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor (aka, Old Timer) :cool:

I've used AVG for years on many computers and I've never had any problem with it.
In fact I almost never think about it, it updates and runs a scan every day with no attention from me.

Almost everyone I know uses it as well.
Though a few now use MSE.

I actually run both, not advised but it's never caused me any problems and I don't get any bugs.

Along with Malewarebytes, and CCleaner that keeps my computer neat and clean.

Mike

On any PC that's properly set up and running properly, AVG will NEVER cause any problems.
Perhaps you could clarify what properly setup means. Making the statement, AVG will never cause anyone issues is a bit much.

The only time my Windows 7 installation has ever run sluggish, was after installing AVG. Two days after installing AVG, uninstalling AVG fixes my issue. This however was during Windows 7 RC days, so it is not a fair representation of how AVG runs today. I can't seem to shake the bad taste in my mouth from the experience I had with AVG. So far I've had good luck with active scans by MSE and manual scans by Malwarebytes.

P.S. I have heard stories about some viruses being hard to detect. From my experience viruses have been fairly easy to detect, browser hijacker's, cpu and memory usage going off the charts, loss of control to PC system utilities. I can't say "I have had a virus that did not show some kind of infection signs".

Well AVG is frequently mentioned in crash dump analysis as a problem. I quit using it years ago. For some reason it didn't like Windows XP SP2 file I had saved. If the cursor ran over the file or that row it froze screen for a few minutes. Their forum wasn't the least bit helpful about it so I went to Avast.
Joe

If I'd had a penny for every BSOD issue where the removal of AVG and running its clean up tool to clear the stuff it thoughtfully leaves behind, and the issue has been resolved after just that, I'd have a lot of pennies!! :D

If I'd had a penny for every BSOD issue where the removal of AVG and running its clean up tool to clear the stuff it thoughtfully leaves behind, and the issue has been resolved after just that, I'd have a lot of pennies!! :D
I really didn't want to go there, but it is a valid observation. I could add to that the many network issues that have also been resolved by the removal of AVG, but..
I thought mentioning that twice in a period of 2 years, once in 2008 and then again in 2010 the product had rendered thousands of computer's worldwide completely unusable was sufficient.

I quit using AVG around about the time that 7 was in Beta. I didn't like that it wouldn't install on my 7 x64 Beta, because it was a beta, though installed fine on my Vista x64. I moved to Symantec AV x64. 7 was not supported, though it installed and runs fine, even on the Beta and RC. It was nice that I could get a feel for how the AV was going to act, even before the release date.

I agree, yes indeed wondows seven SUCKS a big green weenie. Highly acclaimed but it's actually just a dumbed down version of xp, with some betterments such as less dumb-*** "wizards" but it caters to fear driven security scared dress wearers. They dumped the only program that was worthwhile "outlook express" and can not even come up with a similar properly working email processing program for multiple accounts. Not even thunderbird can work correctly under the windows 7 unbrella. (un yes). Call me a troll or what you will, because I am not sticking around to listen to the 7tards responses. I will be busy upgrading to xp 64 bit. I ditched my crap HP printer that influenced me to downgrade to seven so I am upgrading back to xp. I never paid for software and never will. That's for suckahs. Bill Gates hates you all. Just youtube his name and see the evil that oozes from this tyrant. YES WINDOWS SEVEN SUCKS! The number should be SIX. Because 7 is the number for perfection. And I was born on 7-7-64. What you got is an imposter.

I agree, yes indeed wondows seven SUCKS a big green weenie. Highly acclaimed but it's actually just a dumbed down version of xp, with some betterments such as less dumb-*** "wizards" but it caters to fear driven security scared dress wearers. They dumped the only program that was worthwhile "outlook express" and can not even come up with a similar properly working email processing program for multiple accounts. Not even thunderbird can work correctly under the windows 7 unbrella. (un yes). Call me a troll or what you will, because I am not sticking around to listen to the 7tards responses. I will be busy upgrading to xp 64 bit. I ditched my crap HP printer that influenced me to downgrade to seven so I am upgrading back to xp. I never paid for software and never will. That's for suckahs. Bill Gates hates you all. Just youtube his name and see the evil that oozes from this tyrant. YES WINDOWS SEVEN SUCKS! The number should be SIX. Because 7 is the number for perfection. And I was born on 7-7-64. What you got is an imposter.
Hello Davey and welcome to the forum.
How refreshing. Thank you for your opinion(s).
Regards
Randy

Please remember this is a family channel. Eh?

True, Win-7 Sux, but false that Outlook Express is DEAD.

I just revived it on two new Win-7 installs this week. One on an HP Desktop and one on an Asus Desktop.

It's called Windows Mail. I've gone through this before in great detail.
First things you need to do when setting up Win-7 for the first time is shut off that $%^# UAC and then install "Grant Full Admin Control" so you can open up folders and make yourself the owner of them.
Then UN-Hide Hidden files so that you can see all the files.

Assuming for a minute that your Win-7 is 64 bit, you go into C:\Program Files\ and then Windows Mail and delete the msoe.dll file and replace it with the one from Vista. Then make a shortcut for WinMail.exe and put it on the desktop.
Reboot, and your up and running with Windows Mail.

To get your O.E.6 address book off of XP and onto Win-7, Windows Mail, save it on the XP machine in the .csv format and then Import It into 'Contacts' on Windows Mail.

So far, the above technique is not working on Windows 8. Hopefully some day it will.

Cheers Mate!
:cool:

WOW his first post! I wonder if his mommy helped him write it?

Randy, you are too kind. On any other forum I know, this guy would be banned. And if it was only for this pirating remark

I never paid for software and never will.

Windows 7 is a lot like Windows XP in many ways. I have got Windows 7 and Windows XP on different netbooks. And I find that most Windows XP software works on Windows 7.

I recently installed Windows Movie Maker 2.1 for Windows XP on my Windows 7. I got the Movie Maker 2.1 program file onto my Windows 7 netbook from my Windows XP netbook by using Microsoft Shared View. But you can also use Team Viewer and this transfers files from one computer to the other.

Now Windows Movie maker 2.1 is working on my Windows 7 and so is the webcam feature, just like it does on Windows XP. But the only thing is that you must also have Windows Movie Maker 2.6 installed as well to run Windows XP Movie Maker 2.1 in Windows 7. But also many programs for Windows 2000,98 and 95 work on Windows 7,Advanced browser that was made before Windows Vista and 7 were invented works on Windows 7.Most programs are made for Windows XP but work on Windows 7.

You can also install Classic Shell that gives you both the classic Windows 2000 and Windows XP start menu on Windows 7. But no, Outlook Express and WMP 9 did not work on Windows 7. I tried the same thing with both Outlook Express and WMP 9 like I did with Movie Maker 2.1. And even registered the dill files with Emsa dill file register tool.But no, Outlook Express and WMP 9 did not work on Windows 7. But most Windows XP programs work on Windows 7.

But Windows 7 is not the Windows you should be worrying about,it's Windows 8 that's the real worry. With it's no start menu and Metro theme.That's the version of Windows you don't want to be on. Windows 8 that is. Andrea Borman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back